SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I was curious in my '99 9-5 wagon 2.3, what tells the head unit the trunk mounted CD is there, (married) and if possible, can the L+ and R+ including the 2 grounds and some adapter power for bluetooth be used to hook up a bluetooth for phone audio. The wiring harness is there, and there is power in the trunk of the wagon for a bluetooth. I have searched around, and been to this and most sites online about the subject but can't find a definitive answer.

Hopefully someone can help,
Cap'n

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
The CD player communicates on the I bus. I think you'd have to imitate the CD player's messages to use the audio lines.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CD player communicates on the I bus. I think you'd have to imitate the CD player's messages to use the audio lines.
That's understandable. I would guess the I-Bus gets the 0's and 1's saying it is there and married. I wonder if those inputs are just "on" though, and can send signal if an audio input is supplied, or if the I-bus communications also tell the head unit to choose that source over the other. Since there is a CD in the dash as well, how would it know which one to pick? Has anyone actually tried just hooking up to the inputs of the cd harness to see if this works? Thank you for the input EdT, I will have to research the I-Bus now and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I have the CD changer installed (had to do my own adapter cable for my 2003).

You have to select the CD changer as a source. I forget if it says CHANGER CODE before marrying the CD player when going through SRC on the steering wheel. But obviously when there is on CD changer, the changer is not an option when cycling through SRC.

So, I assume, if the head unit doesn't know that there's a changer there, it won't select the inputs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Obviously "NO CD changer" not "on CD changer". Darn no-edit-your-posts thing.
That makes sense. And if you click the 3 dots over to the right, a little dropdown will appear, you can click on edit there. I know that works on laptop/desktop, don't know about mobile.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the CD changer installed (had to do my own adapter cable for my 2003).

You have to select the CD changer as a source. I forget if it says CHANGER CODE before marrying the CD player when going through SRC on the steering wheel. But obviously when there is on CD changer, the changer is not an option when cycling through SRC.

So, I assume, if the head unit doesn't know that there's a changer there, it won't select the inputs.
Thats why I'm trying to figure out if it is just a sensed input voltage to turn it "on" or if there is actual info getting sent. How do the aftermarket CD changers work if they aren't married ? Someone on here offered me an aftermarket one, wouldn't that have to be married too somehow? Given it's aftermarket, and depending on how it is connected, that would lead me to believe it is just sensing a line voltage saying it is there, but of course this is just speculation.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Thats why I'm trying to figure out if it is just a sensed input voltage to turn it "on" or if there is actual info getting sent. How do the aftermarket CD changers work if they aren't married ? Someone on here offered me an aftermarket one, wouldn't that have to be married too somehow? Given it's aftermarket, and depending on how it is connected, that would lead me to believe it is just sensing a line voltage saying it is there, but of course this is just speculation.
Like I said, two of the connections that go to the CD player are the I bus.

I have no idea how whoever proposed the aftermarket CD player would work. I got a Saab OEM changer.

Even aftermarket changers that pair with aftermarket head units (I have a Blaupunkt changer that goes with a Blaupunkt head unit) have to communicate data. Otherwise, you couldn't tell the changer to switch tracks or CDs, or get back error status, etc.

Same thing with the factory setup. The CD changer must be powered up when the audio system is on generally (there are +12V and ground connections). But to change discs, skip tracks--you're going to need data transfer both ways.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Aftermarket CD changers can't work with the factory stereo on a 9-5, so whatever changer that person was offering you won't work. The marriage system is definitely more complex than just a single byte being sent. I'm not aware of anyone who's cracked it yet, unless that's how things like the Saab AUX unit work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts