SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a sum up of the story so all of you who would respond i hope to awnser many of your questions so i can solve the issue quick. Last year i had my motor out to swap it, i had 2.3 head redone (cleaned, valve job, everything). So i have ran a 2.0 block bored out .20 with forged pistons. 2.3 ported cyl head with 1987 turbo cams. I run mobil 1. Compression is fine. Car ran like a champ, nothing wrong with timing. its at like 21 btdc. When the car is cold and even when i come back from long drives i have a lifter noise. I recently blew my trany so before pulling the motor i wanted to figure this out. So i swaped out the lifters from a 1992 turbo motor along with the cams, so i have now 2.0 1992 cams along with the lifters in the 2.3 head. Still sounds the same but obvisuoly i couldn't drive it. What would the problem be? Um i called G9 and talked to james brefly and he said something about air in the system?? i mean wouldn't the air go away if u change the oil? After the year i've had the motor in i've done plently of oil changes. Any help would be great on helping me fix this.

Again i run mobil 1, i did a compression test with the motor hot and it was fine, timing is fine. Could something be hitting something?? but i mean if it was going on this long and something was hitting something wouldn't it blow??

thanks everyone

-brian

·
Registered
779 Posts
the beauty of the earlier heads with the external oiling passages for the valve train is that you don't have to do this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"BLEEDING AIR TRAPPED IN CYLINDER HEAD (From mid-1988 models--engine no. J082586--and later)

The cylinder head introduced on mid-1988 and later models uses small drilled oil passages to supply oil to the camshaft and cam followers. In some cases, it is possible for air to become trapped due to the tight tolerances of the passages. If more than one follower is noisy even after running the engine for more than a half-hour, try bleeding the lubrication system as described below.

TO BLEED LUBRICATION SYSTEM

1. Remove the valve cover.

2. Loosen (3 or 4 turns) the black bolt on the no. 5 intake camshaft bearing cap.

3. Install the valve cover using at least one top bolt and one bottom bolt.

4. Disable the ignition system by removing the harness connector from the EZK amplifier ( n/a models) or the ignition control unit (turbo models).

5. Make sure the car is in neutral. Crank the starter motor for 15 seconds. Wait about 30 seconds. Repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times.

6. Remove the valve cover and inspect the loosened camshaft bearing cap bolt. There should be evidence that oil has been forced past the bolt. Tighten the bolt (11 ft/lbs).

7. Reinstall the valve cover using all bolts.

8. Start the engine. The noise should go away within a few minutes."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

While you're in there verify that the black bolts are all on the spark plug side of the caps- these are the bolts drilled to allow oil flow to the valve train.

If this doesn't solve the problem get new lifters- after all the money you've put into the car they are cheap insurance!

·
Registered
528 Posts
rally900 said:
the beauty of the earlier heads with the external oiling passages for the valve train is that you don't have to do this:
Something that ive been puzzeled about is why my '89 head has the external passages. Not sure about the engine number though.

-Alex

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't know could it be? i've been told its normal. but it really sounds like lifters...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts