SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my new friends. I purchased an 86' 900 (non turbo) about a month ago and am having difficulties diagnosing a couple problems which may or may not be related. Just for context, although I have spent a bit of time working on cars and have read through the Bentley service manual, I am still very much a novice/idiot so please forgive me if I have not considered something obvious or basic.

For starters I noticed the idle speed fluttering. Relatively small fluctuations for the most part on the dial. It probably goes around 100 rpm north and south of 750, but like once every 20 seconds or so, it seems to be bringing itself back from dying outright and today it actually did die completely when pulling up to a stoplight. It started right back up and was fine the rest of the short drive home but it was definitely disconcerting. Furthermore, occasionally, maybe once or twice a week, upon start up it will have extreme fluctuations in idle speed (Like 1000 rpm fluctuations) that cease once I start driving.

Another problem that I have noticed is a strong gasoline smell both inside the cabin while driving and outside and the smell is prolific enough to be present even many hours after driving. I have done a simple look over of the engine and fuel lines while the engine is running to try to spot a noticeable leaking of fuel and have been unable to find anything and am quite flummoxed as to where to start troubleshooting so that I may isolate/fix the problem.

Any advice/suggestions you can give on these issues will honestly and sincerely be very much appreciated.

-Sweet BabyTayTay

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Buy a can of carb cleaner and spray all the vacuum lines coming from the intake manifold to find vacuum leaks.
Start with the vacuum lines to the Charcoal Canister.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for your advice! I checked around the fuel pressure regulator and sure enough I found a hose slowly leaking fuel into the tray beneath the alternator. The idling problems do continue and I am going to try cleaning out the AIC next to see if that fixes the intermittent issues and will report back if that fixes it. You guys are lovely folks and much gratitude for your help.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice! I checked around the fuel pressure regulator and sure enough I found a hose slowly leaking fuel into the tray beneath the alternator. The idling problems do continue and I am going to try cleaning out the AIC next to see if that fixes the intermittent issues and will report back if that fixes it. You guys are lovely folks and much gratitude for your help.
Also check out the hose from the FPR to where it attaches to the manifold. Check for signs of gas at the end of the hose. The FPR diaphragm could be ruptured inside and leaking gas into the manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts