SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...new Saab owner here.

The car is in question is an '87 saab 900 turbo, supposedly an SPG. Not sure about the authenticity of that yet, but I bought it for $500, so no big deal....

Problem is this: The car won't even attempt to turn over. No cranking noise, etc.

It has plenty of battery. I turned the headlights on, radio on, etc. It does fine with that. Just to be sure though, I hooked up the jumper cables to my other car and tried it again. Same result. Turn key, no cranking whatsoever.

Here's what I did: The other day (Tuesday) I washed the car. I also hosed down the engine bay. I added some fuel system cleaner to the gas tank as well. A little while after I washed the car and engine bay, I took the car out for a drive. While driving, it seemed a bit rough - similar to the spark plugs having water around them causing it to misfire. But it ran pretty well, that was just every now and then. I parked the car, and came back to it two days later. Put the key in, and nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions? My uneducated assumption is that the starter isn't getting power.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys!

-Stephen

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
make sure the starter is getting 12v from the battery and the nut holding the cable on isn't loose.

To check the starter solenoid is getting 12v, just put a grounded multimeter or test light on the terminal while someone turns the key.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
It's pretty obvious if it's turbo or SPG, if it says "TURBO" all over it then it is probably not :lol:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sveach said:
A little while after I washed the car and engine bay, I took the car out for a drive. While driving, it seemed a bit rough - similar to the spark plugs having water around them causing it to misfire. But it ran pretty well, that was just every now and then. I parked the car, and came back to it two days later. Put the key in, and nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Possibly water in the electrics. Spray WD40 around all ignition electrics and check for power at stater motor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Whats the WD40 do in this application?
I know misguided people usually use it to break free rusty bolts...but whats it do here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement - 40th attempt. So if you spray WD-40 everywhere, it theoretically should displace the water, fixing the problem.

Anyways: I ended up pulling the connectors off the starter and pushing them back on. That took care of the problem. Apparently it was corroded enough that it wasn't pushing any voltage at all. At some point I'll pull them all off again and clean the contacts.

I appreciate all the responses!

And it must be an SPG. It has the 16v turbo motor, and it doesn't have any turbo badges on it. It doesn't appear that it ever had them either. It doesn't have the SPG wheels, but the guy that owned it before me said he didn't like those wheels so he had these put on instead. I tend to agree with him, I'm not much a fan of the three spoke SPG wheels.

I'll make another thread showing the pics of the car and everything as an introduction.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When I got my convertible, the PO could not crank the engine. I took my sweet time to address that because I wanted to have ti ready to fire up on the first attempt when I did get around doing that. Also, I wanted to take tons of pictures as I went through it. If you look at the second picture in one specific entry in my blog, you will see the nice spark that flew when I was cranking the starter manually. Telltale sign of corrosion issues. So, I used a metal brush, cleaned the corrosion and for now cleaned it up with wd40. Car started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts