SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car - 9-3T - 1998

This only happens occasionally (twice in a month) the car will turn over fine, but the car won't start. It takes about 6 goes and then will start eventually. The funny thing is if I then switch off and start it up again its fine. Any ideas? I have no clue about this. The battery is fine and I'm starting it on a slight slope.
:roll:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There are many possibilities, so you have to start knocking them out one by one. Pay attention to any sounds coming from under the rear seat. Under the rear seat (under the car actually) is the fuel pump. What you describe here is a possible fuel pump failure. How many miles?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sometimes thats from a loose vacuum line or one with a whole in it. Who knows the changes in temp might cause it be bigger at some days

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
With that mileage, the fuel pump is unlikely. I would use an aftermarket fuel injector cleaner (actually fuel system cleaner if possible) and go to work on the spark plugs. You are very close to a tune up, and seems that you are still under warranty, I would take the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well, the plugs are easy to take out. Check the gap. It does not matter they were replaced 6 months ago if they were not gapped correctly at the time. And trust me, even the dealers get lazy and opt to not gap at times. You got a problem that you are trying to resolve. It seems you do not know the cause of the problem. You can either be systematic about it, and make SURE certain items are NOT the cause of the problem, or you will end up wasting a lot of time and money. Again, you car should still be under warranty, so why not make this a Dealer's problem?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong I appreciate your responses, but the car isn't within warranty, the vac hoses I check regularly because of the high boost I am running and the sparks are gapped correctly.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
It does indeed seem to be a fuel pressure problem. And then there is the pressure regulator to consider.

With regular servicing ,all the vacuum lines should be A-OK.
But if the check valve is leaking at times, well, this is rather difficult to check.
Maybe a fuel pressure gage connected at all times...
As Asia so eloquently states - assume nothing- in so many words.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I always thought that Saabs were under a 50Kmiles warranty, but you are right, it might also be linked to years, and yours might have passed the limit.

Ok. So spark plugs are out. You could try checking for sounds from the fuel pump while someone else crancks the car to see if that is the issue. You can have the fuel pump pressure tested for about 1hour's worth of time. I did this recently to get some peace of mind.

Othe possibilities, are (as earthworm pointed out) the fuel pressure regulator and recently, I have seen some issues with crack-shaft position sensor (should be cheap to replace just the sensor). The problems with many of these diagnosis, is that they would happen ALL of the time. Your issue seems sporadic, that makes it a little harder for me to come up with a good theory.

Are there any other related "lights", bells or whistles when you have this crancking problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts