SaabCentral Forums banner

Trouble starting engine

931 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CHIENDOG 
#1 ·
Hello.

Within the last few weeks, I've experienced problems starting the engine, intermittently. Occasionally, the engine will not turn over immediately, but then does start. Although not starting, there is a cranking sound and all the dash lights are on.

I've had the car checked (I'm not a car techie, obviously), and ruled out the battery, starter and alternator, which were all good. My mechanic could not duplicate my problem.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks ... Nina

#5 ·
I think it's safe to say it's gas related issues we're all having. Mine started 3 or so weeks ago, and I'm also in NE.

Only the first start of the day; rest of the time, life is peachy.

Maybe i'll do a little research via oil companies this coming week...

Cheers,
Benjamin

#7 ·
I was thinking the check valve on the fuel pump as well. The pump itself seems to be holding fine, and according to SID data, it's never leaning out (narrowband, but... better than... guessing?) even under lots of boost (unless it just inverted itself).

If it's just the check valve, I'll probably wait until I do a pump (no doubt sometime shortly, anyways)

Any problems with this?

#8 ·
These do sound a bit like failing fuel pumps :confused:

#9 ·
Chris,

How do you explain the issue of it starting *first* crank, consistently, once the 'first start of the day' has been accomplished? I'm not doubting your reasoning, I'm just trying to figure out why a pump would not work for the first start of every day, but then, throughout the day, work absolutely fine *without* single incident, until the first start of the morning again.

In my situation, I have a hunch it's a lot to do with the check valve leaking fuel back to the tank; Now, I just searched eeuroparts for this -- Is the check valve on the feed or the return? Their FEED is labeled check valve; their return is simply labeled 'valve'.

Regardless, something needs to be done...

Cheers,
Benjamin

#12 ·
Well, the problem disappeared for several weeks. Then, one morning the engine wouldn't start on the first few attempts. Later in the afternoon, the engine would not start at all, with a tick-tick-tick sound. I was informed by the road service that the battery was so low that it would be dangerous to try to give a charge. All that strange experience over the last month or so turned out to be a problem battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.