SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this my starter going?
or is it the fuel sending unit?

The last 3 to 4 refills, I had to step on the pedal in order for it to start...usually it would on the second try.
Almost as if I drowned the spark plugs in gas but holding the key it would not turn over.

Manual, '08 93 Aero.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Does this only happen after a refill, or also when the car is warm (and not being refilled)? If you are not pressing the pedal all the way down (which cuts off fuel supply), the former would indicate checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to diagnose. The latter would indicate crankshaft position sensor.

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
I was under the impression that thread was specific to the 2.0T motor, the end result being an SPS update would solve the issue.

Reactions: okcrum

·
Registered
686 Posts
Doh! That's what I get for posting when about to fall asleep. Edited post to correct it. Thanks Diggs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this only happen after a refill, or also when the car is warm (and not being refilled)? If you are not pressing the pedal all the way down (which cuts off fuel supply), the former would indicate checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to diagnose. The latter would indicate crankshaft position sensor.
Only after a refill. Otherwise it starts as it always does.
I am going to try NOT filling it up to the max, to see if it reacts the same next fill up.
But its weird...I tap the gas pedal a few times while turning the key on try 2 or 3, with a struggle it starts.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you can read DTCs they might tell you something. It does sound like you have too little fuel delivered, rather than too much.

·
Registered
686 Posts
By filling it up to the max, do you mean topping off after the gas pump has stopped automatically? Yeah, don't do that. ISTR reading here that risks flooding the evap cannister with fuel. If search by date worked I could find you the thread.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By filling it up to the max, do you mean topping off after the gas pump has stopped automatically? Yeah, don't do that. ISTR reading here that risks flooding the evap cannister with fuel. If search by date worked I could find you the thread.
I probably have done this, once the pump stops on its own, to fill it up to the max 🥴
Damn...I will NOT repeat this, hopefully not too late. So once it stops, put the nozzle away...?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all of your replies.
I have not been driving too much so no need to gas! thats why no update as to whether or not a refill to when the pump stops on its own, did the trick.

I should be filling up in the next couple of days and will provide an update.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
it‘s actually 1971 when EVAP was mandated .. so all cars makes and models since 1971 .. im getting old and started to forget stuff, dam it

·
Registered
996TT, 997TT, Audi TT, Corrado and some that dont run
339 Posts
Most likely the Evap purge valve, replaced mine and stopped being an issue on my 06 Aero. My 04 Linear started acting up and replacing it this weekend.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most likely the Evap purge valve, replaced mine and stopped being an issue on my 06 Aero. My 04 Linear started acting up and replacing it this weekend.
Is this complicated to replace? Never had to, not sure what I am getting into!
It did it again when I tanked this week. I did not continue to add gas once it stopped automatically.
is it possible it will not start at all? Had to pump the pedal while turning the key and got it to turn over, with a struggle.
Leaving for the weekend to a cottage, not too far but may need a fill up before I can make it back home & finally to my mechanic Monday to fix.
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same issue on a 2003..replaced the purge valve and issue went away. Super.easy to replace. Remove the engine cover and it is near the oil dipstick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts