SaabCentral Forums banner

Tripod Bearing

3884 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Cornbinder89
When redoing the CV axle and inner driver is it necessary to also change the tripod bearing that rides inside the inner driver? Or is it a matter of inspection upon gettingv the boot off? Is the bearing known to fail? If so is ther a way to tell if it is bad?

I am about to go in and do the driver side suspension this weekend and I have everything except a new tripod bearing. I was planning in re using the one there now but I wasn't sure if it should be replaced.

Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
888 Posts
Its not hard to tell if it's bad. When I serviced mine they looked pretty good. I cleaned and re-packed. Make sure you inspect the driver cups for wear. If they are worn, now would be a good time to swap them around [side to side]. Just be aware that you can't remove both at the same time. And be carefull when handling the tripods...if you jar them hard enough they can release the needle bearings all over the place...it's a real PITA to put humpdy back together again [ask me how I know].

· Banned
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not hard to tell if it's bad. When I serviced mine they looked pretty good. I cleaned and re-packed. Make sure you inspect the driver cups for wear. If they are worn, now would be a good time to swap them around [side to side]. Just be aware that you can't remove both at the same time. And be carefull when handling the tripods...if you jar them hard enough they can release the needle bearings all over the place...it's a real PITA to put humpdy back together again [ask me how I know].

Thanks guys, inner drivers are being replaced not swapped. I am actually redoing the entire front end suspension on bothsides (one at a time) and just needed some clarity on the inner carrier bearing. I will update this piost after the weekend job is done..

· Registered
475 Posts
When redoing the CV axle and inner driver is it necessary to also change the tripod bearing that rides inside the inner driver? Or is it a matter of inspection upon gettingv the boot off? Is the bearing known to fail? If so is ther a way to tell if it is bad?

I am about to go in and do the driver side suspension this weekend and I have everything except a new tripod bearing. I was planning in re using the one there now but I wasn't sure if it should be replaced.

Thanks
I just replaced the boot on the one original 1/2 shaft I have left. After 196K miles, the tripod bearing still looks great. I say don't replace it unless it's obviously gone bad. As long as there's grease, I don't see how these can wear much. If the grease disappears or liquifies as is reported on the exhaust side bearing (the heat kills the grease), then you'll want to replace it while you're in there.

· Registered
126 Posts
I realize this is incredibly old but I also jarred my tripod on my 9000 enough to release the needles. I got them back in and had to tap the wire ring in. They seem ok but did yours stay put once you got got it back in the car. Or did you have to replace it. I can get a new one for $250. Thanks!

· Registered
4,568 Posts
I realize this is incredibly old but I also jarred my tripod on my 9000 enough to release the needles. I got them back in and had to tap the wire ring in. They seem ok but did yours stay put once you got got it back in the car. Or did you have to replace it. I can get a new one for $250. Thanks!
They should stay put ok, just be 100% sure you have all the needles , congrats on reassembling , that takes a lot of patience !

· Registered
126 Posts
They should stay put ok, just be 100% sure you have all the needles , congrats on reassembling , that takes a lot of patience !
I found 31 of the 32 needles, then chased down the last one. I reassembled by placing one end of the wire snap ring in the groove and marching along the circumference with a small punch. Using hand pressure, I was able to fully seat the ring. This seems like a secure retention system and for the life of me, I cannot understand how they pop apart. I had the roller come off, leaving the needles on the tripod. The snap ring and retainer 'washer' were still on the tripod. Go figure...

· Registered
13,179 Posts
I think (but don't know) this happens when the bearing surfaces wear. You may be fine for a while with a reassembled joint, but I'm not sure that's a durable repair. The tolerances there are super tight (why you shouldn't use moly, or any grease with solid components) so even a little wear has a dramatic effect. Just my belief, I have no specific knowledge... but, I've never had long-term luck with a salvaged tripod.

· Registered
126 Posts
As long as its the larger inner driver, new tripods are available, last I looked about $60 (GKN). I would replace rather than risk the inner driver which is not available, and replace the boots while I'm at it.
Note: I resumed this thread from 2010 because Turbo1992 said they had the same problem with the tripod coming apart. Thanks, Cornbinder. It was actually replacing the boot that started this whole affair. I am pretty sure my turbo takes the Saab p.n. 4103313, which is the smaller inner roller bearing (33.9mm) for my 9000. If I could replace this for $60 it would be a no-brainer. But I am looking at $150-$225 for an OEM part as the GKN part is not available. This car is teaching me patience!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts