SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I've read on here that the trim strips just pop off - I've confirmed this for the back one after gently bumping a fence in my driveway :roll:. Do the ones on the doors and front all come off so easily? If so, it seems simpler just to take them off when I'm putting Back to Black on them.

Actually, it seems tempting to pick ups some plasti-dip and be done with it. How long does that stuff keep looking nice when exposed to the weather?

Or, while we're here, any new products that hold up longer? I know this has been covered before, but maybe there is something better nowadays? I became a fan of B to B when I was in California where it never rained. Now that I am in the northeast again, I have to apply it every month or so. I know some of you have used peanut butter, but I'm guessing that's not especially durable, plus I don't wanna draw ants!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fronts pop off with clips pretty easy. I've never used plastidip, but I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty careful when you reinstall the bumpers so the dip won't crack.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I know I've read on here that the trim strips just pop off - I've confirmed this for the back one after gently bumping a fence in my driveway :roll:. Do the ones on the doors and front all come off so easily? If so, it seems simpler just to take them off when I'm putting Back to Black on them.

Actually, it seems tempting to pick ups some plasti-dip and be done with it. How long does that stuff keep looking nice when exposed to the weather?

Or, while we're here, any new products that hold up longer? I know this has been covered before, but maybe there is something better nowadays? I became a fan of B to B when I was in California where it never rained. Now that I am in the northeast again, I have to apply it every month or so. I know some of you have used peanut butter, but I'm guessing that's not especially durable.

I plasti dipped all of my trim pieces. The ones on the doors come off easy, just be careful of the plastic clips.

As for it holding up, I had to redo the ones on the front once already (3k miles). I used a bug cleaner and I think it ate at the plasti dip. I power wash my car twice a week and it holds up fine. You just can't hold the nozzle on full power directly on it lol

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The fronts pop off with clips pretty easy. I've never used plastidip, but I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty careful when you reinstall the bumpers so the dip won't crack.
True and any little bumper tap might knock some loose - I wonder how well one of the plastic compatible spray paints the sell might do. A satin or flat finish might look OK - the question then becomes do they fade. If so, that's a relatively lot of work to have to do every few months.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not a $1 can of flat black spray paint from walmart?
That might be OK, too. But will it stick to plastic long term? The krylon says it's made for plastic. There's also forever black - it is a sort of paint, but it might be really easy to apply once the trim is off the car.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Plasti dip.

Have used it 3 times now on both our 93's and will continue to use it if any parts peel. Also, it's pretty much latex, so it doesn't crack, it will peel/rip. I've popped off individual strips and reprinted them months after I painted all of them and the color still matches.

Just do atleast 2-3 coats, so when the next time comes to repaint them, it peels off in one big piece.

I've had mine painted since last fall and they are still a deep black, looks like they are brand new pieces and also makes the care look "newer" since you get rid of the ugly faded strips.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That might be OK, too. But will it stick to plastic long term? The krylon says it's made for plastic. There's also forever black - it is a sort of paint, but it might be really easy to apply once the trim is off the car.
I always use enamel to spray my plastic model kits that I build and the stuff adheres very strong to that plastic for what that's worth. You could probably hit it with some matte finish as sort of a clear coat, or even gloss coat for a wet look. Maybe you could throw down a coat of primer. Heck, you could change the colors of the trim pieces if you want. I wonder how flat grey trim pieces would look on a gunmetal linear...

Krylon is laquer I think, so if you're going to use a clear coat make sure you get matching paint types or else it will orange peel or crack.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ive got an isuzu vehicross which is basically half plastc paneling. B2B works well but for a more long term solution there are a few options.

Showroom New works wonders but can be a little tricky to apply. Gatorback is widely used by the chevy avalanche crowd with good results but i have seen it flake badly, could be poor adhesion from bad prep but i dunno. The cheapest and easiest is probably duplicolors bumper paint, its made to be flexible and soak into plastic trim pieces, plus you can get it cheaply in a few different colors. And if the pieces come off that easily spraypaint shouldnt be too hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts