SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure what exactly you would call it, but the "trim" (the metal piece coated in a black rubber-y material) around the rear window is beginning to peel and tear. I know it's nothing too major, but it's kind of a bother. And I'd love to fix it if I could! It's very noticeable in the sunshine.

Any recommendations? Should I just try to paint the exposed metal? Any tapes, rubber/vinyl applications? Anything?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have tried in the past to "fix" this very common problem with no satisfactory results. I have resorted to just replacing the trim on both my Saabs and BMW's and strangely under my ownership they last.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grr, well thank you for the reply! I'll try to do some research and see if there's anything that might help. I have a feeling I'll be masking the car around the trim, scraping off the old gunk, and painting the metal black. Rustoleum usually has some durable exterior oil-based products.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know some people have masked and used the plasti-dip on it since its rubberized as well, but not sure how long it lasts if the underlying rubber is continuing to split.
Great idea - but yeah, great point too. I just don't think the rubber likes to stay on the trim piece?

Mine's got the same thing on the back. Really annoying.
Woo glad someone can sympathize! I'm sorry to hear it's happening to you though. :cry: It really is annoying. I usually wouldn't care but I just want to fix it and not have to look at it anymore

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Great idea - but yeah, great point too. I just don't think the rubber likes to stay on the trim piece?
I don't think it's so much that it doesn't like to stay on but age, deterioration, drying out, shrinking and then cracking.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got the same issue and will be ordering and installing this moulding trim to attempt to address it in a few weeks when the weather is clear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171730874379

The seller has it in various EDIT: widths (not thicknesses). Ideally I'd get something with a matte finish instead of glossy, but can't find it. I figured I'd try this as the existing trim (though unsightly) does a good job of keeping the windshield sealed and preventing water and direct intrusion. Given that, I didn't think it would be worth the time or cost to replace with the OEM replacement part.

This moulding has adhesive on one side so I figured I'd just cut it to fit and tape over the old damaged trim as it is functionally fine and just aesthetically awful. I'll be doing the same for the front windshield for its top trim piece.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the same issue and will be ordering and installing this moulding trim to attempt to address it in a few weeks when the weather is clear:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171730874379

The seller has it in various EDIT: widths (not thicknesses). Ideally I'd get something with a matte finish instead of glossy, but can't find it. I figured I'd try this as the existing trim (though unsightly) does a good job of keeping the windshield sealed and preventing water and direct intrusion. Given that, I didn't think it would be worth the time or cost to replace with the OEM replacement part.

This moulding has adhesive on one side so I figured I'd just cut it to fit and tape over the old damaged trim as it is functionally fine and just aesthetically awful. I'll be doing the same for the front windshield for its top trim piece.
Thank you for the idea Thomcat! I never thought to look for such a piece.

I'm torn on what I should do. I think I'll probably just end up sanding the trim down and spraying it with black rubberized Plastidip... but it's great to have another option. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.