SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear

Issue: Car first threw a code for needing a new MAF, only one code was thrown and was for that.(Forgot the exact code). Replaced MAF, even had a Eurospecific shop confirm it was that which needed replacing. Once installed,(easily replaced), the car now throws p0108 for Barometric Pressure. One thing the shop mentioned was the o2 before the CAT barely withing spec, so with that code being thrown, I replaced the o2. Again, still throwing the same code. Purchased a MAP sensor from RockAuto, they sent it to me and the plug was different, after some investigating with RockAuto, turns out my car needed the MAP sensor for cars purchased in Europe,(I am in the States), they sent it to me, and I compared it with ones at Reillys and Autozone and they didn't have the Euro ones either. Plug the sensor in and..to no avail the light is still throwing the same code.

Trick: When I clear the code, on the first restart the light does not come on, not after 5 miles or 500 miles. But within 30 seconds of the 2nd start, whether I drove no miles or any miles, the light comes on and throws the same code.

The car still gets the same fuel economy, and runs great 95% of the time. Stutters very rarely.

Please help!!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is P0108-Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, which is the MAP sensor and I replaced it. Let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
248 Posts
P0108 means that the MAP sensor is getting a high voltage reading. That means the engine vacuum is inversely low. Could be as simple as a loose or broken vacuum hose. Check all your vacuum hoses thoroughly first.

·
Registered
351 Posts
P0108 means that the MAP sensor is getting a high voltage reading. That means the engine vacuum is inversely low. Could be as simple as a loose or broken vacuum hose. Check all your vacuum hoses thoroughly first.
From what I've noticed through reading these forums for the last year, you should check your vacuum hoses FIRST if you get any codes related to airflow or pressure. Hell, it might be the first place to look whenever something in the engine bay is not working the way you expect it to.

·
Registered
215 Posts
From what I've noticed through reading these forums for the last year, you should check your vacuum hoses FIRST if you get any codes related to airflow or pressure. Hell, it might be the first place to look whenever something in the engine bay is not working the way you expect it to.
You can also hook up an OBDII reader and get the vacuum pressure. Either Torque + Bluetooth, or just run it up to your local Pep Boys/Vato Zone/Advance and ask them to check it for you. Should be around 16 hg (at idle) if everything is good.

BOTH of my Saabs were acting weird when I bought them, and both of them got drastically better with some new vacuum hose. My 900 wouldn't rev over 3,000 (REALLY bad vacuum hoses) and my 9-5 threw codes, had a sticky brake pedal... But the 9-5 passed the "eye test".

If I bought a Saab today, I'd put new vacuum hoses on my list of "initial maint for a used car" list. Change Oil, Air filter, drain and fill rad, ATF, fuel filter, and vacuum hoses. You can get some silicone 3.5mm vacuum hose for less than $20, and it'll take you a half an hour to change all of them.

If I even suspected a vacuum leak, I'd go ahead and change the hoses. It's dead simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts