SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
I have a pretty strong love-hate relationship with Saabs... took me 2 months to flush and bleed the brake system 馃檮, but we got it done, and the car is back on the road.

Back in March -- about 60 miles on the rebuild -- the 'service XWD' warning popped up. I wasn't worried as it was something I planned on getting to anyways and I purchased the required fluids, filter, and gasket beforehand. Below is a good thread for that:

I was hoping to be as lazy as possible and remove the eLSD cover without dropping the diff, but of course the rustiest bolt was located in the one spot with no room. After (obviously) stripping the bolt, I dropped the entire diff and disassembled the rear drivetrain and suspension to get it done. In the process, I noticed the rear CV boots were torn, so I purchased new ones as well. While waiting, I figured I'd do some painting and flush the brake system (huge mistake lol). I pulled all 4 calipers, painted them, and threw them back on - bleeding the system according to the WIS.

After the entire car was reassembled, I went to test drive the vehicle only to find myself slamming on the brakes to no avail while I'm rolling down my driveway. Me trying to properly bleed these brakes took literally 2 months (though most of it was down time due to Corona). However, I was glad to read I wasn't the only person having trouble with the V6 brakes smh. But long story, short, for whatever reason I was pulling a lot air of from the bleed valves when I was originally attempting to vacuum bleed the system. I finally sealed that (after tapping both calipers for a valve repair kit) and I think that did it. Well, it brakes now anyways - granted the bite point is a lot lower than I'd like (making it hard to heel-toe).

100 miles currently on the rebuild 馃檶馃徑

Super Moderator
Dang dude, nice work. Lots of hours into this one!

Registered
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Oh for sure, it has definitely caused many sleepless nights. But thanks man, I appreciate it. You own some pretty sweet Saabs, and I've had several of your threads bookmarked for forever, so it's cool to hear you like the work haha.

Super Moderator
Thanks man - just another obsessed SAAB guy here. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26

Pleased to announce I blew the engine up after 1600 miles 馃檶馃徑!

Out of everything I decided to newly replace , of course the turbo -- which is the one thing I didn't touch -- decided to go on me. Between the smoke on start and oil at the throttle body, I knew it was dying, but I figured I had a little time... I didn't have any time lol.

I currently have 0 compression on 2/6 cylinders, and will be pulling the engine again. Once I know exactly what's up, I'll let y'all know

Super Moderator
Crazy. So the turbo killed the engine? How exactly??

21 - 27 of 27 Posts