SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 97 900 se manual trans. and noticed after the engine and trans. warms up it is very difficult to get into 2nd. Its the only gear to have problems. I havent had time to replace the oil yet and wondering if that may help. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just bought a 97 900 se manual trans. and noticed after the engine and trans. warms up it is very difficult to get into 2nd. Its the only gear to have problems. I havent had time to replace the oil yet and wondering if that may help. Anyone else have this problem?
Also what would be the best gear oil for it as the owners manual says 10w30 motor oil??? And if a trans. additive would be recommended? Im a little stumped putting motor oil in a tranny

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Your transmission came with two quarts of 10W-30 mineral oil and the newer transmissions came with synthetic oil. I change my transmission oil once a year because it's cheap insurance. When you drain the oil, pay close attention to how much it sparkles - that's caused by the worn synchronizers. Also, look for larger bits of metal... Ron

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
I've seen major improvements by switching to the synthetic fluid, then slowing exercising the syncros a little more each time you drive. That is, when you pull it to a gear, pause for a moment at the gate and let the synchro spin up, then flick it into gear. With the problem you have, I'd give it close to a second to spin up. Then work your way down to about 1/4 second over the next year.

I'm guessing you might be beyond just cleaning out the syncros with synthetic, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well finally got around to doing the switch, even ran an extra quart through to mostly get all the old oil out. It was a little sludgy but thankfully no metallic at all. 2nd gear is working great now. A little bit of a pain to get to but it definatly worth it. Thanks guys ;ol;

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Well finally got around to doing the switch, even ran an extra quart through to mostly get all the old oil out. It was a little sludgy but thankfully no metallic at all. 2nd gear is working great now. A little bit of a pain to get to but it definatly worth it. Thanks guys ;ol;
Excellente!

Keep doing what I suggested... pull it to "the gate", let the synchro spin up, then flick it into gear. Shift that way consistently and it should continue to improve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts