SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. just replaced the clutch cable...in my '95 2.0l turbo 'vert beacause the car was refusing to go into reverse. This seemed to fix the problems for a few days, but now it seems the cable has streched out, is this a common problem with the manual adjust cables?

The second issue is ever since I bought the car 5th gear has been a little hard to pull out, and just recently I have noticed at chirp shifting into 3rd gear under moderate accleration...

Is this the signs of a transmission death throw, or just a irritating problem I will have to live with for a while?

The car only has about 100k on it.

I was also thinking about the best way to repair or replace a transmission on this car, what years/models could I scavagne, or would it be better to rebuild it? Can a DYI person re-build a SAAB transmission at home?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Adjust the manual adjust cable, this may have to be done 10 to 30 times over a clutches lifetime. $1.50 back in the day; now $ 15 to $70 ??...each time....no wonder the auto adjust is popular..

It was a step backward for Saab to ever switch from hydraulic to cable..

The shift linkage wears, there are kits for this

The mounts become too soft or break, placing stress on the transmission/gearshift alignment..
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110703

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
When was the last time you changed the fluid?
if changing the cable has little to no affect, change the fluid.
(or, have it changed)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts