SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am getting a 1992 saab 900 automatic, the car needs some work, mainly a transmission. I know everyone will probably say do the manual swap, but I prefer to have his car be auto. I was looking on some parts sites and it looks like 92-94 transmissions are different than the 90, 89 or even 91. I have a 1990 auto I believe spare, have to check the part number, basically I am looking for something that will bolt up to the 92, or if someone can inform me of the differences that would be great, search and the bentley didn't help too much.

Here are the codes for the transmissions.

GA 33308 or Bw013 is early 1990
GA 53408 or BW014 is later 1990
Don't have the code for a 1991
GA 53409 is for 1992 +

thanks in advance:D

·
Registered
906 Posts
While there may be some internal differences between years, they all will bolt up to your '92. There were some differences with the axles (smaller tripods) in the earlier years so if you can, stay with the 1986.5 ( I believe) onward. That way you can use the axles you have in the car.

There were also differences between tranny coolers, but no biggie and there could be different front motor mounts, again, no biggie.

I swapped an '88 T into my '93 S, all went smoothly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, looks like I will be using that 1990 trans, are there any good DIY pages for the swap? Ie does the motor need to come out? I couldn't find one on the townsend website or using the search.

·
Registered
18,380 Posts
thanks for the info, looks like I will be using that 1990 trans, are there any good DIY pages for the swap? Ie does the motor need to come out? I couldn't find one on the townsend website or using the search.
For sure take out the engine and gearbox as a unit, it is by far easiest way IMO

It can be tricky to separate the engine and gearbox

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.