SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a rebuilt transmission (2 yr unlimited mileage warranty) installed in my 2001 9-5 (175,000 miles) and when I picked it up at the shop and started home it drove fine... no codes or CELs.

Since my drive home was primarily interstate I didnt notice any problems until I hit city streets and then the car wouldn't down shift and started off at lights in 3rd gear and I got both a CEL and Gearbox light.

I called the shop and they said they reset all the codes etc. and that it should be fine but to bring it back. So, I took the car back to the shop and they are now telling me that its throwing codes indicating a bad neutral safety switch for which they want $400. Having just spent $2,000 on the tranny I'm not sure I trust these guys to do any further work soooo...

I picked the car up and the codes were not cleared as the CEL and gearbox lights were still on, brought it back home and, again, it drove fine until I hit city streets (warmed up) and then it went back into what I am guessing is tranny limp home mode.

There is some play in the shifter cable because of the missing clip but the dash position indicator seems to match the shift selector.

One thing I did notice is that now I have to put the car in drive before I can put it in reverse whereas before I could usually go straight to reverse (still that damned clip).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
2001 9-5

Your tranny is in limp mode, wish is the same thing I'm going though right now. Have you had any Neutral Safety Switch symptoms? And why was your tranny rebuilt in the first place? I also had the no reverse from park or neutral problem, I bought a used NSS on Ebay and got that problem fixed but I still have the tranny limp mode problem. let me know how yours goes.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The symptoms you are describing are 100% consistent with a faulty PNP switch on the 4-speed Aisin Warner transmissions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your tranny is in limp mode, wish is the same thing I'm going though right now. Have you had any Neutral Safety Switch symptoms? And why was your tranny rebuilt in the first place? I also had the no reverse from park or neutral problem, I bought a used NSS on Ebay and got that problem fixed but I still have the tranny limp mode problem. let me know how yours goes.
You should be able to pull fuse 17 for about 10 minutes and clear that.

The symptoms you are describing are 100% consistent with a faulty PNP switch on the 4-speed Aisin Warner transmissions.
Thanks... I'm gonna take mine apart and clean it before I try to replace it... I saw an article where someone had done this with good success... if it doesnt work then all I have lost is a week while waiting on a replacement part.

Thank GOD I have my Toyota! :lol:
(Wait! What am I saying!!! :cheesy: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts