SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post - been scouring the internet for ages trying to find a solution to the problem with my wife's 2001 9-3 Softtop.

It is an auto transmission and constantly (well 19 times out of 20) sticks in park with the only way to move the lever being the little override button next to the shift lever.

It looks like a transmission shift solenoid problem from what I can gather - brake lights work fine so prob not brake switch and it seems to have been a factory recall on those models (which I have no idea if it was carried out - but it would seem not).

Is there any way I can confirm this as the problem - and if so is it a DIY replacement? I'm not a great mechanic, so if we are talking about dropping the transmission out she can continue to use the override button! I stripped the central console as far as getting to the solenoid, but couldn't find any way of getting it out to inspect it.

I found the 9-5 equivalent bulletin:http://www.townsendimports.com/Saab_TSB_Folder/Saab_TSB_pdfs/432_2138.pdf

which looks achievable (well if I had a 9-5 it might be)

but the 9-3 one seems a bit secret squirrel:
http://www.townsendimports.com/Saab_TSB_Folder/Saab_TSB_pdfs/432_2037.PDF

Any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Are you referring to the shift interlock, which holds the shifter in park unless the brake pedal is depressed? I do know there is a fuse in the fuseboard for the device. I don't know the fuse number but I could find it if you need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's the shift interlock. If you have the fuse number that would be great; fingers crossed that is all that's wrong - but I'm not generally that lucky!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes it's the shift interlock. If you have the fuse number that would be great; fingers crossed that is all that's wrong - but I'm not generally that lucky!
From WIS Hope it helps:
The shift lock function mechanically locks the selector lever in position P. The lock is released by pressing down the brake pedal.
The shift lock relay and its lifting magnet generate the shift lock function.
The relay is connected in parallel with the gear selector position sensor contacts B and C to pins 10 and 28 of the transmission control module.
The shift lock relay is fitted in the main fuse box under the main instrument display panel. Due to the parallel connection mentioned above,a faulty gear selector position sensor and shift lock relay will result in the same fault on pins 10 and 28 and thus generate the same diagnostic trouble code (P0705)
The lifting magnet is fitted in the selector lever's console and controls the ability of the selector lever to move. Gear selector position sensor contacts B and C indicate gear position P when they are both "0". In all other gear positions either B or C is "1". In addition, input R must also be "0" for the shift lock relay to release. This happens when the brake pedal is depressed. When the relay releases, the lifting magnet becomes passive and the selector lever is no longer mechanically locked.
The shift lock function can be disconnected by removing fuse 9.
(Note: I don't know if the last sentence means it won't lock or won't unlock if fuse 9 is removed
BTW, the relay would be easy to check

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am away for tye next few days, will have a look when I get back. Thanks for the info. Would be great if it was just the fuse!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well fuse 9 in my car is for the ACC panel - and sure enough without it the Aircon goes blank.

Fuse 34 is for Auto trans/SID, so no SID precludes that one.

6A states Auto transmission - removing that changes nothing - it may or may not be the fuse you are referring to...

There isn't a relay marked shift lock relay either:(

Do you have a link to the fuse/relay lists you are using so I could compare/contrast? May be differences between euro/US models. Unfortunately I can't find anything that jumps out on either list I have as being the ones I want...

·
Registered
71 Posts
me too

Well fuse 9 in my car is for the ACC panel - and sure enough without it the Aircon goes blank.

Fuse 34 is for Auto trans/SID, so no SID precludes that one.

6A states Auto transmission - removing that changes nothing - it may or may not be the fuse you are referring to...

There isn't a relay marked shift lock relay either:(

Do you have a link to the fuse/relay lists you are using so I could compare/contrast? May be differences between euro/US models. Unfortunately I can't find anything that jumps out on either list I have as being the ones I want...
I've been chasing this same issue, intermittent inoperation of the lock out mechanism, for months now. I was side tracked temporarily by a brake light switch that acutally started to malfunction as well, so I had two reasons for the same symptom. Fuse 9 in my 2000 9-3 Sedan is likewise not used. I'm using the screwdriver in the bypass button virtually everytime now.

Two questions:

1. Where is the relay that activates that sucker? I just replaced my big orange headlight relay and fixed my weird lighting issues so it is not without probability that the one that controls the lockout solenoid is toast as well.

2. The signal that activates the relay, is it coming from the big expensive position sensor switch that is on the transmission itself? As luck might possibly have it, I might have access to a brand new one that my sister bought for my nephew's car, which he wrecked before it was installed.

Let's keep this thread active until we all come to some resolution, then perhaps someone can make it a sticky someplace helpful for future Saabites.

Thanks,

Kip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
Does anyone have a list for the relays located under the dash? There is no click when depressing the brake pedal so it may well be the culprit (If that is where they the shift interlock relay is located) Only problem is that I can't find a list of which relay is which? On the rare occasion it does work I can hear a click - but I don't know if that is the relay or the solenoid!

My Haynes manual doesn't list them - they don't match the owners handbook and I'm coming up blank online.

Any help much appreciated - I can hopefully fix this for about US$10 with a little info!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, found 3 'half' relays in the under dash compartment among the 'full' ones - one of which (the bottom one) seemed to be the intermittent wiper relay. 'G' is listed as the int wipers, but there is actually a G1 and G2 in my car. Tried swapping all 3 to see if they worked by putting them in the int wiper (G2) slot.

According to the manual 'c2' is the lock motor/tailgate which worked with it removed - so something is definitely wrong there!

Anyway, all 3 seemed to power the wipers so put them back and reassembled the dash. The shift lock solenoid now works over 50% of the time rather than about 1 in 50. As they all seemed to work I didn't note which was which when I replaced them.

I am hoping that the shift lock relay is C2 or G1 and manhandling it had freed it up a bit. If that is the case then presumably replacing it will solve the problem in its entirety

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh wow, im having similar issues on my 92 9000 cse nonturbo. I found that fuse #27 is a 10A that is for the radio and ****-lock// fuse wasn't blown. I pulled it and tried to shift out of park..no go. I disconnected battery for a few hours and tried to get it out of park without power...still no go....this is reallly messed up.

I posted a similar post in the saab 9000 Workshop forum...

perhaps someone can describe to me exactly where the solenoid is? This vehicle doesn't seem to have the safety release switch that i hear ppl talking about that should be located near the shifter.

The entire console is stripped....im just shy of removing the face console.

So has anyone come to a solution yet?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not me, but I've been busy futsing with the water pump and radiator on mine. I'll go looking for the relays under the dash this weekend though as i am using the release on the shifter about 50% of the time now.

Cafe T, your 9000 might have a different console than the later 900/9-3, but on mine the lockout release is a little relief in the upper left of the shifter when it is in park, it is about 1/16 wide by 1/4 long. Gotta have a screwdriver handy at all times...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmm....both ideas are great, but i will do something better....im gonna take some pics of the crusty shift area and maybe someone can point out what controls the shift lock function...etc...and i will use the cig lighter as a power source to cook the #&^$%# and maybe after a good deep frying i wont need to worry about the crappy shiftlock...hell...i'd prolly prefer to remove it entirely if possible.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've been chasing this same issue, intermittent inoperation of the lock out mechanism, for months now. I was side tracked temporarily by a brake light switch that acutally started to malfunction as well, so I had two reasons for the same symptom. Fuse 9 in my 2000 9-3 Sedan is likewise not used. I'm using the screwdriver in the bypass button virtually everytime now.

Two questions:

1. Where is the relay that activates that sucker? I just replaced my big orange headlight relay and fixed my weird lighting issues so it is not without probability that the one that controls the lockout solenoid is toast as well.

2. The signal that activates the relay, is it coming from the big expensive position sensor switch that is on the transmission itself? As luck might possibly have it, I might have access to a brand new one that my sister bought for my nephew's car, which he wrecked before it was installed.

Let's keep this thread active until we all come to some resolution, then perhaps someone can make it a sticky someplace helpful for future Saabites.

Thanks,

Kip
According to post #5 in this thread, the range sensor switch IS involved in this function. I'd suspect it. However before going to the trouble and expense of changing the sensor, which is a bugger to change and expensive to buy, the smart thing to do would be check the inputs and outputs of the range sensor and compare them to the specs in the WIS and in post #5. If they pass, and the interlock still doesn't work the trouble is elsewhere. BTW, I think in the specs, I means voltage and O means no voltage. Also, a defective range sensor should result in a diagnostic code P0705
Also, is someone can find the relay one can test for whether power is coming to the relay when the brake pedal is depressed, or not.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
On this subject I googled 'wiring diagram shift lock saab' and came up with loads of information. One post said that the relay is in the console, and is referred to as a 'switch', which is what a relay is, of course.
An ad by AUTOZONE claims that their stores can produce wiring diagrams. Such would be very helpful.
Edit:
Contrary to the above, the WIS says the relay is in that well known white relay board behind the 'kneeboard'. (see post 5 above)
Edit:
I did find a wiring diagram thru Google. It is the Google reference containing the name 'Diakom'. This is specific for the 1997 ng 900, but I think it is likely applicable to the 9-3. The diagram is from the mitchell repair system.
It clears up the confusion about the relay. It is in the white relay board, however I don't know which relay. There is also a solenoid switch in the console, this switch is the part that locks/unlocks the shift.
Edit: How about this as a diagnostic: if you can find the wire that brings power to the solenoid switch in the console you can test for voltage when the ign key is on and brake pedal is depressed. This test could tell you whether the problem is in the switch itself-which it may be- or somewhere else, like the relay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts