SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 9-5 SE with an automatic transmission. I thiink my transmission is at the end of the road but i'm not sure.

I have come to this conclusion because when driving the car seems to shift at strange points and sometimes when I hit the gas there is a thud when it shifts gears. Another issue is that when in "D" it rolls back on hills. Even the smallest hill and it will tend to roll backwords. On steeper hills the car might as well be in neutral.

That being said I have a couple questions:

(1) From what I described above is it indeed the transmission that is the problem?

(2) How much is a new transmission going to cost?

(3) This is somewhat of a stupid question so bear with me - I really want a car that is a manual. Since I am getting a new transmission is there any way I can get a manual transmission in my car? I know this sounds dumb but one of my friends told me it was possible. If it is possible how much extra do you think it would cost?

Thanks in advance to anyone who weighs in with their opinions

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hi Anitka, welcome to SaabCentral. In answer to your questions.....

1. Yep, it definately sounds like a transmission problem. :x
2. Cost will vary greatly, depending on where in the world you are! I've heard figures of £2500 for a new box or £ 1200 for a rebuild. :eek:
3. A manual conversion is possible but will cost plenty, there's a lot of work involved inc. pedal boxes, clutch cylinders and of course a manual box.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Hi and welcome, has anyone looked at the problem, is their any / enough fluid in the gearbox? :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm having the car looked at next week I'm not really sure about the level of the fluids although I just had everything checked out like 3 months ago.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You need to check the fluid level and the quality of the liquid, it should be nice and pink not dark brown and smelling burnt.

Do you have a handbook with the fliud checking process detailed? :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts