SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 9000 CS and lately it has been sluggish and getting pathetic gas mileage (22 MPG!!) I checked the transmission fluid and it turns out it is a dark brownish color. I plan on changing the fluid and the filter but I was wondering if that would solve the problem or if the new fluid is just going to turn dark again? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
At the shop we use a BG power flush machine. Because the torque converter holds quite a lot of fluid, just a manual flush will not remove much of the dirt fluid. Look to a shop ot get a BG power flush (or the like), it around $100 and if your trans isn't banging into gear or shifting late you may really extend the life of the trans.
Also, I don't think your trans is the reason for poor gas mileage, however 22 in city isn't terrible...

·
Registered
253 Posts
alternately you can drain the fluid, clean the filter, refill and repeat this 3 or more times, with a few hundred miles in between.

Will never hurt to change the fluid but I agree with KaMiKaZi_t0M that if your car is sluggy and thirsty, the problem is not in the transmission. Switch on the ignition without starting the car and check if your check engine light starts flashing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was considering bringing it to have them flush it out but they said $200 to change the transmission fluid so I may go with changing it a couple of times and trying that way to get all the old junk out. Is it possible to clean a transmission filter or do I have to go with a new one? Will the fluid just turn dark again after a while or should changing the fluid and filter make it alright? It is sluggish by that when I am on the highway and I let off the gas it slows down quite a bit quicker than it should. I thought it might have been the brakes but in neutral it coasts perfectly fine. The 22 MPG is highway miles. Could it be related to the oxygen sensor? The check engine light has come on a couple of times and according to that it was the oxygen sensor but the light went out on its own so I didn't worry too much about it.

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
If the fuild is clean, and powerflushed, it will stay red for a long time. You can run a flushed car for easily 30k miles and the fluid will still look brand new. So no, it isn't like engine oil where you change it and in three days it looks like dirty oil again. Do you hear and grinding during coasting?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK that is good to know. So far I don't hear any grinding noise or anything. I had heard some people say that when they have the transmission fluid flushed that they have problems a little later. Have you heard anything about problems after power flushing?

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
Some people claim the "gunk" is what is holding old transmissions together; but i don't believe that. I've never seen a transmission get worse after a power flush, only better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went and had it flushed and it seems to be running much smoother. It is now at 2500 revs instead of 3000 when going 70 mph. My manual says to use Dex 3 but they used Dex 6. Do you think that'll be a problem later on or will it be fine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have put maybe 100 miles on it since the flush and have started to notice some slipping when going from third to fourth gear. Are there some things that I can do to stop it or do I pretty much just have to take it to a professional? Could not changing the filter have caused some problems? The people said they would change the filter but I find it hard to believe that they had a 9000 filter in stock the same day I brought it in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What idiots fill a 4hp18 with dex 6 :eek:

Proper fluid for the 9000 autobox is Dex II and nothing else. Some people use III with good results, but I've also seen perfectly good boxes die shortly after changing to III.

The problem is that modern fluids can attack the internal seals, causing leakages, pressure loss and that inevitably leads to slipping and burning up the clutches. Once the seals are gone, all that remains is a complete overhaul. Could also be that the 6 has a different viscosity and that is causing the problems, in which case you could be lucky...

I would start with flushing and refilling it with dex II asap, let's hope the seals are still ok and it's not too late. Do not, I repeat not, drive the car with a slipping box. It will only take a very short time to burn up the clutches and once that happens you need a major overhaul.

No need to replace the filter, it's a plastic mesh filter and you can simple clean it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know it says right on the transmission to use Dex II! That's why I really did not want to take my car to a mechanic. The only way to do something right is to do it yourself. Do you think that it is possible that over filling could cause slipping? I noticed that it only slips when going from third to fourth and if I accelerate slow enough it does not slip at all. Do you know where I could find some Dex II because it seems a little hard to come by these days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it turns out that the people I took my car to put in too much transmission fluid. I siphoned out nearly 2 quarts of excess fluid and voila no more slipping. So far I have stuck with the Dex 6 and it seems to be fine now that I have drained out all the extra fluid.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Dextron II or Dextron III

I flushed both my 9000's with Dextron III some time ago, put two lots of 4 litres in.

I see some are saying NO, to Dextron III and to use Dextron II, I was told Dex III is the replacement for Dex II.

Is that incorrect.

/R

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
To my knowledge - and I'm not in the industry so don't quote me - GM reformulated the Dex II formula in 1993 and began marketing Dexron III instead. They guaranteed III as backward compatible with all applications that had previously specified II.

Then at the end of 2006 GM let the license on III go away and offered the controversial Dex VI.

While that product (VI) is backward compatible with most transmissions, it is not suitable for all machinery that originally called for either II or III. As such they do not market as a replacement.

But the II/III is still blended by several majors and is easy to find. Nowadays, you can be reasonably assured that any ATF carrying the DEX/MERC designation will be a drop in replacement for II or III.

GM has walked away from those groups and now is only supplying the VI.

Begs the question - what ever happened to DEX IV and V?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Makes sense, thank you for your reply.

/R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts