SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear of a transmission oil magnet that retrieves any umm...metal (i.e. gears teeth, bearings etc) that may have come loose. Which "plate" it this? there one at the back of tranny under car, and one where you would fill up the oil for the tranny (on the side), are either of these the correct place? Or if I remove that big allen style plug (drain) for the oil will it have a magnet?
Thanks
-Alex

·
Registered
83 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
I hear of a transmission oil magnet that retrieves any umm...metal (i.e. gears teeth, bearings etc) that may have come loose. Which "plate" it this? there one at the back of tranny under car, and one where you would fill up the oil for the tranny (on the side), are either of these the correct place? Or if I remove that big allen style plug (drain) for the oil will it have a magnet?
Thanks
-Alex
On my 88 5spd, the magnet is on the allen style drain plug. I've not been able to remove the plug. If it doesn't come out easily, leave it alone. A lot of people on here do not recommend changing the transmission oil. I don't believe SAAB recommends it as preventative maintenance. I personally don't think it will hurt the trans to change the trans oil. But, if you can't get the plug out, it shouldn't matter anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you really want to change the trans oil and can't get the allen plug out, pull the car onto ramps or jack it up. You can take the back plate off the trans. then, you can reach in and clean the magnet off with a rag and wipe as much of the grime as you can reach. I think you'll know what I'm saying when you get under the car to look. I did this on mine when I first got it. Then i made my own gasket with Permatex (gasket in a tube).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
^^thats the best way to change gearbox oil anyway so you can clean everything out. i always use saab gaskets but i suppose permatex should be ok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts