SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab Meisters,
Rebuilding a 5-speed tranny from 1988 900. Need a new ring and pinion plus 2nd gear synchro. Eeuroparts and others inform me they are no longer available. ;oops:

What are my options? Where can I get these parts? :nono;

My solution is to replace the parts I can get and hope the ones I can't get stay together. Help appreciated.:lol:

Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Transmission Parts Update

I called Scanwest today about parts. Said Hi from Hans...they remember Hans. Said Hi back.

The crushed washer is no longer available. They can find me a 2nd gear synchro which is good.

I am rebuiding a 1988 5-speed, GM55602. One of the pinion bearings disappeared (previous owner must have used the tranny while is was failing). The 5th gear output shaft is buggered up...looks like melted metal...hmm must have been kinda warm.

I suppose the real question is: should I spend time and energy rebuilding this tranny or find another?

Give me some experienced feedback-I know someone has experienced the same situation. Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I'd give an update. This is a hot thread...had to go to page four to find it. I suspect very few tear into a tranny.

I've got one torn apart...the one with the front pinion bearing that vaporized. I have two more that work next to the bench.
I've decided to use the failed pinion bearing tranny as a "learning" tool and rebuild one of the others.
Scanwest has the parts, they were able to get the 2nd gear synchro s for me. Also, EEuroparts has great prices and most of the parts available.

No crush washers available-will reuse or fabricate.

Anyone else doing the tranny overhaul? Just checking.
Pete

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
New Ring & Pinion sets were so expensive that nobody ever bought them; if they were damaged, we found another unit to rebuild or bought a new/rebuilt unit.
If the crush collars are really no longer available, cut a thin slice (0.020") off an old one, or otherwise make a spacer, and use it to further crush a used collar.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
New Ring & Pinion sets were so expensive that nobody ever bought them; if they were damaged, we found another unit to rebuild or bought a new/rebuilt unit.
If the crush collars are really no longer available, cut a thin slice (0.020") off an old one, or otherwise make a spacer, and use it to further crush a used collar.
I was lucky enough to find the last 2 crush washers in the US. My rebuild is done, I wish I took more pictures. You can shim the old one to get the preload 10-15 ft lbs (rolling) but how much force do you use to press the bearings and what torque should the pinion nut be torqued to?

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
Boosted said:
You can shim the old one to get the preload 10-15 ft lbs (rolling) but how much force do you use to press the bearings and what torque should the pinion nut be torqued to?
1) The crush collar does not determine pre-load.
2) Press the bearings on until the inner races of the pinion bearings are stopped by the crush collar.
3) There isn't a torque spec. Tighten until the correct pre-load is reached.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
1) The crush collar does not determine pre-load.
2) Press the bearings on until the inner races of the pinion bearings are stopped by the crush collar.
3) There isn't a torque spec. Tighten until the correct pre-load is reached.
Okay, if you were to machine a non-crush collar how would you determine the length since the nut determines the pre-load?

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
Boosted said:
Okay, if you were to machine a non-crush collar...
You can't, it doesn't work that way. The distance between the two bearing races can't be measured accurately enough to calculate pre-load. If the collar doesn't crush, the pre-load won't be on the bearings, it'll be on the collar.

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
cdaly said:
What is the collar made from?
As far as I know, it's mild steel. It has a built-in "ridge" in the middle that collapses, accordion-like, when crushed.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
cdaly said:
What is the collar made from?
Heavy duty Tin Foil:lol:

Sorry I couldn't help it.

I was told that the old Rovers in the UK used many of the same parts in their gearboxes.

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
cdaly said:
So a bit of ingenuity should fabricate a new one...
All you'd need is a shim/washer/spacer 0.020" thick so you could crush the old collar just a little more. You could cut several off an old crush collar (if you were a machinist).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts