SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just picked up a 9-3 aero with the 2.8T and it has a pretty sever transmission
fluid leak. I can't seem to locate. looks like its coming down around the bell housing, I thought maybe the RH axle seal, but it isn't super wet around the axle, although it does appear to be slinging some. there are pretty big droplets coming of the two bolts on the bottom of the housing, and I get about a 3 in diameter puddle after driving the car. if it sits, there isn't much additional leaking going on. PO said they had a 40k trans installed about 10K ago. I am a technician (not much experience with Saab though) so I want to sort it out
myself. thanks in advance for any help! Oh.. its an AW trans btw I want to get it fixed fast at about $10 a puddle...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump? just trying to get a starting point on this. anyone have experience if/where trans cooler lines are attached?
if those are towards the top of the trans?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If the leak is from the bottom of the housing then its highly likely the leak is internal.
Not familiar with the V6 ..is it 5 or 6 speed box?
Cooler lines usually in/out under the valve body cover so underside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 6 speed. I did put it in the air again today, and I did notice the cooler lines at the front. definitely not those. There is a rubber plug on the bottom of the trans that I had pulled and it wasn't wet on the inside of the bell housing. I do actually think its the axle seal. Its just slinging fluid all over. there is burned fluid on the bottom of the down pipe, and several other spots, so I think I'll go for that first. on a side note I was afraid of my fluid level being too low so I pulled the plug in the center of the trans drain plug. according to the manual you can check it with the engine off, and there should be a little fluid flowing out? pulled it, and fluid DUMPED out of the hole. Kinda seemed excessive, any thoughts? Thanks for the picture btw Nice to see some diagrams since the trans is cover by turbo and piping.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The drain tube is self levelling with an inner and outer core.
The procedure for filling the AF40 involves filling until fluid starts to come out and then adding another 0.4L so "the dump" you describe is normal.
Grab the WIS and EPC over in the Tech2 section all the info is there.
As to changing the seal (if you are sure thats the problem)you may be able to do it without removing the gearbox.
On the 9-5 I have seen it done by removing driveshaft/intermediate shaft and tapping out the intermediate shaft bearing (temporarily). Not sure if the 9-3 is the same though.
The procedure should be in the WIS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts