SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shaft seal leaking and need to know the correct fluid to replace it with. I have searched the forum and the internet and have every fluid from 75w-85w gear oil to auto trans fluid. Redline MTL is supposed to best then regular old 5w-30w motor oil is the best. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have a 2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen. :confused:

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Your Viggen came with Saab's synthetic tranny fluid from the factory. Assuming no one changed it to anything else, you'd need that to top it up and you can't buy it anymore. Anything else is a compatibility risk. Some people would care, some wouldn't. That's assuming no one changed it to something else along the way.

However, since fluid isn't expensive and tranny's are, I'd change to something known and use that. Probably time for a change anyway!

Use something like Penzoil Syncromesh or Redline MTL. You could use what GM is recommending now but I don't think anyone here is too keen on it as it is rumored to be ATF. Seems more like cost cutting on GM's part than concern for quality shifting and long manual tranny life.

See this TSB for instructions and read a couple threads here on doing it. http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/93-95man-oil.htm.

Note that unless you have MTF0063 (looks red when not too dirty and beat) you don't have to do the double flush. The stuff you should have in the tranny was fairly compatible with other fluids and was done with a one flush changeover back in the day. The MTF0063 was very non-compatible and required a double flush.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dexron VI is what I've read some are using. When I replace my shaft seals I'm going this route.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what to use but have heard that the redline is good. My oil in the trans looks and smells like regular motor oil. So I think I would only have to do one flush.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts