SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300K miles 2001 95 SE. Often after driving for a while, when I put car in neutral, say stopping at my mailbox, then put back in drive car seems to be trying to start off in 3rd gear or something, I call it the "slip mode", similar to the winter mode to keep drive wheels from spinning. Same thing after backing out then putting in drive. If I put it in park or neutral, turn engine off and restart, then put it back in drive, then everything is normal again.
My Saab guy says it's solenoids in transmission. Any idea which ones?
Can it be fixed without removing trans? Time to let it go? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Someone with a Tech 2 can activate and test the solenoids to tell you which one.

The solenoids can be replaced with the transmission in the car, they're not horribly expensive and the job is a "moderate"DIY job. It'll take about 4 hours.

Look at the tutorial I did on the solenoids on the 5-speed. The only real difference is going to be the difference in solenoids and maybe some of the bolts are different. But it's in the same spot.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don't have anything to add beyond what Uncle said, but I just wanted to ask: Is that 300,000 miles on the original engine and transmission?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To andybisnut: yes, original engine and trans, just 500 shy of 300K. Multiple timing belts, water pumps, and ignition cassettes, and one radiator.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
that's impressive

maybe that V6 isn't as bad as some people let on. Although timing belts on an interference engine always scare me!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The drain and fill is so cheap and easy so definitely worth a try.

Impressive miles on your v6, I sold mine at 215 k miles and was still mechanically sound, great cars. Btw, I drained the ATF every second oil change.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
To andybisnut: yes, original engine and trans, just 500 shy of 300K. Multiple timing belts, water pumps, and ignition cassettes, and one radiator.
Wow! Very impressive indeed. Say what you will about them...GM makes some seriously solid engines. I understand that the 3.0 V6 in the first gen 9-5 is a relatively simple GM engine that is (was) used in a lot of vehicles. A few years ago we sold our 2001 GMC Yukon (5.3 V8) with 305,000 miles. Still running strong, although burning some oil. One reviewer said that if GM could make an entire car as good as their engines, they'd be unstoppable. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts