SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Aero Wagon

Recently noticed a weird shifting pattern when my vehicle is fully warm. After driving for 15 minutes or so, there is a delay between throttle application and transmission engagement of about 2 seconds. It catches and lurches forward, then the 1 to 2 shift does the same thing, hesitates and engages.

This only happens when the fluid is all the way heated up, cold running transmission works great. I recently did a 3x fluid change to correct the problem to no avail. I've seen others with this issue and a fluid change has cured it for most except for me.

I have checked and checked the fluid level by using the procedure in the owners manual, R, D, P, check fluid.

I am using Dextron III fluid as well.

I was thinking that this is a result of an overfilled box because the fluid tends to expand when warm, so, should I drain a qt or so and see if the problem persists? On refill I typically add around 3 qts.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
My car behaves likewise, except not during the 1 to 2 shift (only from a stand-still) and only once that i can recall since double-changing the trans oil a few months ago. In my case, changing the oil didn't solve that particular problem i was having. If your car, like mine, doesn't rev up while trying to accelerate then i'm inclined to believe it may be more of a throttle body issue. If it does rev up, and the transmission eventually catches up to engine speed, then you're likely right in assuming its a transmission problem. It can't hurt to have it checked out, by a Saab mechanic.
Let me know what you find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts