SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've reciently noticed my '87 900T is making a gear whine in both 4th and 5th gear. This sound changes with speed. Oil level is fine. The car has 177,000 miles on it. No other issues, it shifts fine.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have some bad news for you. It's the outer pinion bearing in the transmission that has worn out. It is only a matter of time before the transmission locks up completely. This happened to my '85T back in 2006. I drove it the whole summer with it making noise in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I rebuilt the transmission that winter. Here are a few pictures of what I found.

The outer bearing race is on the left.

If it starts whining in all of the gears you better stop driving it. The sooner the better. 89'+ boxes received a larger rear pinion bearing.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad Pinion Bearings "sing" under load in 5th gear, less so in 4th.
The noise mostly disappears if you let off the gas.
That's what I've got. It is not too loud, if I had no experience with the car I wouldn't worry, however, I do know the car and this is a new noise.

Does the transaxle need to come out for this repair? Can the pinion bearing be replaced in the car? How much of a job is this, and how long can I wait to fix it?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I will be doing a rebuild on a chillcast box I received from a former C900 fanatic. Unfortunately, the box is in unknown condition, so I need to have a look through it first before I can decide if it's usable or not. Since I've also got a non-chillcast box sitting around for parts, I will be able to replace some things in there if need be. I will be looking for gears to replace, but mostly I am concentrating on bearings. I have heard the OEM pinion bearings are made by Timken, and will be getting some from RockAuto.com, who currently stocks them (part numbers M88048 and M88010). Other than those, there are several other bearings I will be replacing in there as well, which can mostly be replaced by SKF and other more generic manufacturers (eeuroparts themselves sell the SKF bearings, and a local shop carries them).

To perform the rebuild, I will be following this guide.

Luckily, eeuroparts also sells the pinion bearing housing, if that needs replacing. Some have mentioned the part they carry is chillcast, but this has not yet been confirmed.

li Arc

·
Registered
353 Posts
So a whine in 2nd and 3rd would be normal? Still cause for concern? Imminent doom? Apocalypse?
I was just peeking in from the ng900 threads and saw this.

I had this failure on a '79 99. Catastrophic, you ask? I was rolling down a hill at 55 in 4th (4 speed), when it went KABOOM (I was debating on if I should make these letters larger). It sounded like it was going send the engine through the hood. Seriously. I have never had any kind of car failure sound that loud, including driving a Ford diesel truck with a rod through the block.

Fix it immediately. Its worth it, considering a even a moderately well kept OG 900 is capable of hitting 300,000 miles, as my '87 900S did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
metalbender
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing