SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 9-3 2.0T and will be doing a series of drain/fill on the transmission fluid to get as much cycled through the system as I can. Based on reading on the forum, I went with Toyota T-IV fluild from a local dealer. I bought 12 Qts and figured I'd cycle the fluid 3 times or so. I do have a couple of questions. First, looking for confirmation that this fluid is compatible w/ the 5-spd AT fluid and second, wondering if I should use ramps (front-end only raised) or jackstands at the 4 corners - level). Ramps are easier just not sure if I'd get a lot more cycled through if draining level vs. having the front end raised.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,657 Posts
5sp AT is either 3309,toyota type IV or equivalent..Pretty sure the car has to be level with AT..

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
ramps and jackstands in rear to level it

type iv is fine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the car must be level to get a good reading, but planned on just measuring what was drained and only adding that same amount, so the car wouldn't really need to be level to do that. It's just that if the ramps only allowed for 1 QT to be drained whereas a level car would allow for 3 Qts to be drained, it woud take me 3x as long to cycle 3 quarts through the system.

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
Jack it up, put jack stand under drivers side. Pull drain plug, jack up and pull stand and let it down to drain. You'll get as much out like that as any other method. Measure and replace. That's how I do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack it up, put jack stand under drivers side. Pull drain plug, jack up and pull stand and let it down to drain. You'll get as much out like that as any other method. Measure and replace. That's how I do it.
Perfect; great idea. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,616 Posts
I cant even get a jack under it unless I drive onto a 2x10, lol.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Plastic ramps work really well. I normally get 2.75 liters out while the car is on the ramps. This is a v6 motor, not sure if the 2.0 is different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always preferred the ramps myself when changing oil. I followed Diggs suggestion the first time and recovered roughly 3.7 qts. On the second go-round, I actually raised the driver's side back up and recovered a bit more (vs. level). I do have a CV, so I also had to remove the chassis frame brace underneath to be able to get the torque wrench on the drain bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts