SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission fault light has come on several times. However, it is running fine, has never been put into limp mode, and does not produce transmission codes when scanned @ autozone.

Another thing i just noticed; the fault light does not come on if i turn the key to "on" before i start it.

I could not find a similar problem on the forum; any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Another thing i just noticed; the fault light does not come on if i turn the key to "on" before i start it.
Turn the key to "on" and leave it there for several seconds ??
Do the battery, charging system service.
Its a very voltage sensitive system....
Maybe a little corrosion at the range switch ??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mainly I switch it to "on" while it does the system check; after it says "ok," i start the car & receive no fault lights.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
My transmission fault light has come on several times. However, it is running fine, has never been put into limp mode, and does not produce transmission codes when scanned @ autozone.

Another thing i just noticed; the fault light does not come on if i turn the key to "on" before i start it. A clue ?

I could not find a similar problem on the forum; any ideas?

Thanks!
This may be a clue as to what is amiss.
I usually pause for a nanosecond at "ON".
But I see no good reason for this..
Start up still takes two seconds or less.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
regarding the battery/charging system service, I did not find a thread related to that; is there one here on this site?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The Saab has no oil pressure gauge nor a voltmeter built in , as, IMO, it should..:evil::(:cry:
I use a $3 HF multimeter, unbelievable that it works so well, and for so long.... On an annual basis I run a battery load test and I measure the battery capacity and the alternator output.
I should keep a book on this...
I wish to have NO breakdowns on the road, I am too old for that stress.
HF = Harbor Freight:cheesy:
The entire shebang that I use cost about $30 (charger, testers, cables, etc);ol;

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HF multimeter

For the test w/ the multimeter is DC 20V the proper setting?
And I should be looking for around 20 V?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Roughly 14v at an idle, but at least 13.5v under a load(everything on).
I use a HF load tester to check the battery condition. The inspection od all the cables and grounds is important, with an older vehicle, a man never knows what can happen and when.
The "up to" 20v is the most used, but do be careful, military vehicles use 24v. Its fun using a multimeter, so many things can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts