SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went out and had the clutch pedal stick to the floor as soon as I started the car. I took it as a bad sign and only tried to drive it to the end of the street before turning around to see if it was a fluke or if it was an issue. I made it into first gear, but when I shifted to second it went into gear and the clutch pedal stuck again. I took my foot off of the accelerator and the car jumped into gear. I turned around in second in the cul de sac and drove back as not to have the same issue. I called the dealer and told them what happened and they told me to check it again and if it repeated it to have it towed in.

Today, I go to do as I had been suggested and the clutch pedal stuck only when I shifted into second as it had done yesterday, so I start to turn around in the cul de sac and I lose all gears. In all six forward gears and reverse there is nothing. The engine revs but there is nothing to the wheels. Even stranger the clutch pedal is now completely fine. Goes up and down without a problem. There were no leaks visible and there was no spots under the car. No warnings or lights were ever displayed anywhere on the instrument panel/SID.

I have already taken the car in before for transmission issues and they always tell me they couldn't find anything wrong. Every time I would pick up the car though the shifts were easier and smoother and the clutch was softer than it had been when I brought it in. I am in no way hard on the clutch or transmission and the car only has about 54,000 miles on it. I wouldn't be angry except the car was in for service three weeks ago and had to get all new brake pads and rotors because of some sort of metal shavings that had gotten between the pads and rotors and scratched the hell out of them. I had also told them about another transmission problem while I was there; when I pushed the clutch pedal down to shift from third to forth the car completely shut down with my foot still depressing the clutch; and they found no issue and could not recreate the problem so nothing was done.

Also, as if my day couldn't be any worse the first tow truck AAA sent was not a flatbed, and when the second came the car was on a hill and when he went to pull it onto the flatbed it almost ripped off the front fascia/spoiler/"whatever you want to call it." I know it wasn't his fault but it was just another kick in the teeth. The dealer told me they would call with details and an estimate but I probably won't be getting my car back till after the New Year. If anyone could give me a clue as to the problem I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Sounds like your throwout bearing was getting stuck in the fingers of the pressure plate diaphragm. Possibly one of the fingers bent or broke first, and things only got worse from there.

They probably need to open up the bell housing (or whatever the equivalent is called) and watch the mechanism in action.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts