SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car won't let me shift into any of the gears, it had been tough to get it in 3rd lately and now it seems as though it has died. I don't believe it's the clutch but I'm not a mechanic. Any thoughts...

it's a 5 spd manual

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
2 obvious things:-

1. Yes really, it is the clutch, master or slave cylinder or other bit of hydraulic

2. The gear linkage coupling

David.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Had a simular issue with my C900. Hard to put it into gears, then one day I just lost 2nd gear all together. Turned out to be the shifter linkage (coupling) that wore out. Definately check that 1st like DJ Taylor says. Tranny may not be as bad as you think! ;)

I'm thinking that when you have an issue with your hydraulics (clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder) it won't disengage from the engine, and the car will just pull away even when you have the clutch pedal depressed. That's been my experience with hydraulic problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch still feels similiar... although it does go to the floor easy. I called my saab work shop and I heard anywhere from the slave to something hydraulic... maybethe linkage.. anyways I'll keep you updated tomorrow to let you know. hope its not the tranny

·
Banned
637 Posts
With a little Luck it's your Clutch master Cylinder that has Failed.. I say luck cuz that's approx a $150 to $200 repair at a Competent shop.
Besides it's the Usual culprit.
Other possibles will cost multiples of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mechanic took a look at it,,, and noticed that the tranny is in 1st and reverse at the same time.... any ideas?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Cannot be unless something broke inside the tranny. There's an interference system insid ethe tranny that prevents selection of more than one gear simultaneously, that must be broken. Have to pull the tranny to do anythign useful about that problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
9000MAPTUN said:
The tranny did end up breaking, I'm currently looking for prices for a rebuild.... anyone know?
From my recent experience replacing a tranny that fell apart :

1) Ericksson's charges about $1500 for a rebuilt tranny (there is a "core-charge" per se, you have to send them your old tranny)

2) Goldwing Saab - charges about $1000.00 USD (delivered I think) for a used tranny. There are several other saab salvage operations online, but it seems the going rate is about $1000.00 USD

3) Ask around local Saab dealership & Saab Independent mechanics. I'm sometimes surprised what they have sitting around. ;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
9000MAPTUN said:
The tranny did end up breaking, I'm currently looking for prices for a rebuild.... anyone know?

Check this site out,

http://car-part.com/

it searches used car parts nationwide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts