SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to connect wires to switches instead of using the ignition switch. Ideally, I'd have three switches - power (on/off), start (momentary), and accessory (on/off). However, I'd be perfectly happy with just power and start switches.

Although I have Bentley's and the ignition switch terminal distribution diagram (page 371-7), I'm flummoxed trying to translate 30-X, 30-15, 30-54, and 30-50 into wire colors and connections. Can anyone lay it out for me?

This must have been asked before, but I haven't found precisely what I need. My apologies for any repetition.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
+30 is permanent battery voltage
+15 is ACC(essory) voltage, which is ON when you turn key to ACC (or further) position. So it must be ON if you want to drive or start.
+54 is drive voltage, ON when you turn key to drive position.
+X is ON when you insert key (and further)
+50 is starting voltage (to starter motor). You need to have ALL voltages ON when you start.

Wire colors may vary.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+30 is permanent battery voltage
+15 is ACC(essory) voltage, which is ON when you turn key to ACC (or further) position. So it must be ON if you want to drive or start.
+54 is drive voltage, ON when you turn key to drive position.
+X is ON when you insert key (and further)
+50 is starting voltage (to starter motor). You need to have ALL voltages ON when you start.

Wire colors may vary.
While wires may vary from the standard, in general there are standards. For example, a yellow (GL) 2.5 wire runs between the starter and the fusebox, and a Yellow/Red (GL/RD) 2.5 wire picks it up inside the passenger compartment to the ignition. Recognizing that my colors may be off (for example, in my car the yellow wire to the starter is spliced to a green wire which actually has the spade connection to the solenoid), I'm looking for what wires to connect to something like a few household light switches. The bit where I'm muddled is how to move from the information you provided into actual, hands-on wires and where to put them.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Pretty basic

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts