SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great and thank you!

thanks i just bought the 88 and while driving it from VA to MI the pinion bearing went and chewed things up pretty bad..im picking up a good used trans on the way down to picking up 88 and towing it back..i will keep you posted-sean

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
I think it was when they went to rear handbrake that they changed the inner driver size - if your car is the rear handbrake (which being an 88 it should be) then all should be a direct fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
interested to know

Hi all, great forum by the way

Just wondering, I have read many times within the forum that the consensus appears to be that the 90+ gearboxes are stronger ?

I know that the 90+ gearboxes run larger pinions and have different pitched gears, the lay shaft has the oil feed slot, etc etc .... but in my profession of rebuilding the 5 speeds 95% of the gearboxes with collapsed pinion bearings or broken pinions or broken main clusters and other gears etc ... were the later 90+ gearboxes. Seldomly did we see the earlier 86-90 gearboxes with problems other than aged wear?

Where is the perception that 90+ gearboxes are stronger coming from .... maybe sometimes size doesnt matter :)

If anyone has any info regarding improved strenth in the later gearboxes some links would be appreciated as I am interested on reading up on it

Thanks

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Probably due to the fact that as they are generally a bit stronger, they are able to take more stress, torgue and hammering..... therefore resulting in more trannies being minced!!! (ive got 2 knackered boxes that need sorting - one due to previous owner neglect:evil: - he ran the box dry:eek: , one came with a spare engine)..... Must get round to sorting them!

Laters
G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts