SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im going to add a trans cooler to the t16 as when it gets abuse and the trans gets hot the gears def gets tighter (most noticable on the rolling road- apparently making 280bhp at moment - and still potentially more to come)

i was going to plumb up a outlet from the steel diff cover through an electric oil pump and then through a cooler

wheres the best place to return the oil to?

how big an oil cooler is required?

any pics of what other people have done?

thanks
Rob

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The best place to return the oil is the other end so you have a hot and cooler end but I think the oil gallery on the primary chain end is narrow and you could end up with a choked flow or head of oil in the chain end which is not good in theory or practice but I don't know for sure.

I suppose a good place and what I would do it have the return on the oil dip stick side on the exhaust side, all you would need is an adaptor for the thread and your in business.

Which kind of pump are you going to use and what kind of flow rate does it have?

I mean lets say you have 3.5 litres of oil maybe 4 total in the system, how many times do you want that fully completing a lap in your oil cooler per minute?

Will you add a oil temperature gauge as well?

Please let me know because its something I would like to do but never seen it done on here in a thread with details.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The best place to run the return would be the dipstick sidecover. The primary case would be ideal but oil doesn't flow well between the primary and main case. This is how oil coolers were run on Saabworks rally cars.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
speedysaab said:
hi, im going to add a trans cooler to the t16 as when it gets abuse and the trans gets hot the gears def gets tighter (most noticable on the rolling road- apparently making 280bhp at moment - and still potentially more to come)

i was going to plumb up a outlet from the steel diff cover through an electric oil pump and then through a cooler

wheres the best place to return the oil to?

how big an oil cooler is required?

any pics of what other people have done?

thanks
Rob
Here is a link to pixs of my setup.
http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/album516
I'm using a Mocal or Tilton diff pump 60 psi and 1-2 gal per min. I also have an inline filter. Two schools of thought; filter before or after the pump. I went with after so if the pump lets go it is filtered before going to the trans. The pump also like to be after the cooler. I'm currently using a H motor oil cooler. I have the diff cover tapped for a sensor, but have not had the time to hook it up. My inlet and outlet are all on the diff cover. In theory they should be in different places, but there is alot of churning. Rob at Scanwest said dumping it right next to the gear would do just fine. Some folks have used a Bosch fuel pump with pretty good sucess.
When I did my dyno tuning last week I ran the cooler full time. You could not touch the cooler w/ your bare hands after a few hard runs.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
You'll need to tap a hole for either a thermostat or a temp sender, have the thermostat trigger the pump or have a temp gauge and switch to do it manually.

I've got one of these type of gear box oil coolers to play with, kinda a milder version, it sits in the return hose from the radiator, i may only need a pump with this one as the oil will be cooled by coolant returning from the radiator rather than fresh air.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts