SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 03 93 linear with 152k miles and while checking the fluid levels at work one day I saw that my fluid was really dark but its not burnt indicating me that it may just be time to change it? My question is I don't know when it was done last and I don't know wether or not to flush it or do a drain and fill? And do these 93's have filters? I didn't see one when I was looking

Any help would be sweet thanks.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Official instructions are several drain and refill cycles. Flushing is not recommended.

Lots of forum posts on this topic. Try a search or twenty...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
AVguy is right. I just had this done to mine about a week ago, (thread around here somewhere...). Drain and refill, drive a day or so and do it again. A total of 3 drains/fills should get most of it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it's hard to get to unless you lift the front of the car. Under the hood, about a foot below the front headlight, around where the washer fluid tank is, there will be a blue/green top secured by a bolt. That is where you fill it. The drain is somewhere around there as well. Unscrew the plug, drain it. Then fill it with the amount that was drained. I believe it is a 12 qt total, so probably around 3-4 qts per drain.

or, go to a lube and have them drain/refill it. Make sure you specify. I know lubes are terrible places for our cars, however, I did not have any way of lifting it to get to the drain and to unscrew the fill cap. I figured there isn't much a place like that could possible screw up. It was around $40 per drain/fill.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Official instructions are several drain and refill cycles. Flushing is not recommended.

Lots of forum posts on this topic. Try a search or twenty...
Ditto, especially with that many miles. A regular drain and fill won't hurt anything as only 1/3rd of the fluid is removed and replaced.

I don't believe there is a filter, just a screen like many trannys these days. Maybe a metal magnet too.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If you Flush use the Pump Inlet method, it is the most effective but also the most costly due to the excessive new fluid used.

·
Registered
866 Posts
no filter. Pull the drain plug. Put back in. Pull little green dip stick bottom front trans (access from underneath - kind of a PIA). Use a long funnel with a 1/4" hose. Fill with 3.8 qts fluid. Replace dip stick. Drive for 5 min. Repeat.

Once that is done. Just dump the 3.8 qts in the "pan" and refill every 20k miles and you always have clean fluid. You don't have to do the double dump an fill if you do just the "pan" 1x every year or two.

Use Toyota Type T-IV ATF.

I do this 1x a year in the spring and my fluid is nice an pink all the time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It is time for me to do a trans fluid change on a 2004 9-3 Arc. I pulled up the details in WIS and it shows you having to remove the hoses from the transmission to the transmission cooler and replace the gasket used to attach that hose to the transmission. Has anyone done this? Is it even worth it? If it makes a difference (and is specified in the official shop manual) I'm all for it. But if I can avoid all that extra work (and risk of breaking something!) I'm for that as well.

Oh and I called around and found Toyota ATF Type IV at one of the Toyota dealers in Minneapolis for $4.95/qt. That's pretty nice considering the same product is $6.95 locally in South Dakota and $9-10 for Mobil 3309 at the local NAPA. I'm from Minneapolis and next time I'm in town I will just pick up some bottles of Type IV. How many quarts do we need for this?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah I saw that in the WIS too (OMG! what a PIA!) so I searched here to see how everyone in the real world does it, which is what I posted previously. Works great!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
How many quarts do we need for this?
I believe you need about 4 quarts per drain/fill cycle (actually 3 and change). If this is the first time, you might pick up eight, do it twice and then buy whatever else you think you need to do a third cycle.

I decided to leave the hoses alone when I did mine - too much risk of breakage for not much benefit imo :D .

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I believe you need about 4 quarts per drain/fill cycle (actually 3 and change). If this is the first time, you might pick up eight, do it twice and then buy whatever else you think you need to do a third cycle.

I decided to leave the hoses alone when I did mine - too much risk of breakage for not much benefit imo :D .
yep, 12 quarts total

·
Registered
409 Posts
yep, 12 quarts total
Awesome! The Toyota dealer (Walser Toyota in Bloomington, MN) told me that they will even sell it by the case (12 qts/case). And it's only $4.95/qt there! Awesome! I like this "no remove hose" and change 3 times, that's OK with me!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got done doing the drain and fill. It shifts sooooo much better! The stuff that came out was so brown it resembled used oil. Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
409 Posts
OK OK. So one more question: what size is that transmission fluid drain plug? I'd really love to buy a socket that will fit on my torque wrench. I like torquing everything to spec ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts