SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in doing a tranny swap on my 9k. Not that I think the auto trans sux or anything, but I keep getting smoked off the line. I put an ebay special turbo on my car which hits full boost at 3500. Before boost its just a dog and I'm not about to drop it into gear from neutral just to show everyone my balls are bigger than jacknuts next to me. Any ideas, has it been done before, or is there another suggestion to solving my problem? Thanks guys. And by the way this is my first saab, let alone boosted car. I used to be a Honda guy, but there is a long story behind that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What year 9000 is yours? I have a '95 5 speed, running 15psi boost.

If you left a performance Honda behind, the Saab will be a different beast, so to speak. Don't expect the Saab to remind you of your old Honda. But stick around here, and you'll find plenty of options to enhance your Saab.

·
Registered
62 Posts
grade8graydad said:
What year 9000 is yours? I have a '95 5 speed, running 15psi boost.

If you left a performance Honda behind, the Saab will be a different beast, so to speak. Don't expect the Saab to remind you of your old Honda. But stick around here, and you'll find plenty of options to enhance your Saab.
GrayDad,

Just noticed you're a Vermonter as well!!! Morrisville...that's just north of Stowe isn't it?

Know how to get more boost out of my stock '93 9000CSE???

If I'm in 4th gear and gun it, my boost never even makes it to the first few ticks of red on the boost guage? Is there something wrong? I've checked all the vaccum lines.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Jimmy Jam said:
GrayDad,

Just noticed you're a Vermonter as well!!! Morrisville...that's just north of Stowe isn't it?

Know how to get more boost out of my stock '93 9000CSE???

If I'm in 4th gear and gun it, my boost never even makes it to the first few ticks of red on the boost guage? Is there something wrong? I've checked all the vaccum lines.
Yes, I'm just north of Stowe, on Rt 100 in Morrisville. My house is the one with like ten cars in the yard. :cheesy: . Where are you, JJ?

Have you ever thought of installing an aftermarket vacuum/boost gauge? At least then you'll have a more accurate boost reading.

Has the car always performed as you described? What does it do different in the other gears? '93s have a different ECU, so I'm not sure you can run w/ MBC. Have you searched SC for info on your year?

My 9000s has a manual boost controller that I turn down in winter. The PO swapped in a CSE ECU and put in the MBC & vacuum/boost gauge. I've also perforated my airbox. Future plans include a 3 inch DP & exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a 92 cd. I'm running 8-10 psi. the variation has to do with old vacuum lines, stock charge piping, etc. fuel cuts at 14 psi, 20 on the old turbo to give you an idea how hard the new one pulls. if theres anything else that i left out that might help ;et me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cliche` said:
You could always not race it.
you don't know me that well. i bought this car because i just wanted a car. i didn't want something that i would start tuning. i'm sure, like most enthusiests out there, i have a disease. anything i touch i gotta make faster.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Save yourself some trouble and pop it into gear from redline and blow the trans to oblivion. These auto trans are already struggling to handle stock power, it's not hard to hurt them. If you have the tuner's twitch sell it, get a 5 spd. If you mod an automatic, you'll ruin it before you learn the lesson, and there's another perfectly good saab parted out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thirsty9000 said:
Save yourself some trouble and pop it into gear from redline and blow the trans to oblivion. These auto trans are already struggling to handle stock power, it's not hard to hurt them. If you have the tuner's twitch sell it, get a 5 spd. If you mod an automatic, you'll ruin it before you learn the lesson, and there's another perfectly good saab parted out.
Well I'll tell you what; All though you may be right, mine seems to be doing fine. It has 185k miles on it, and I've put about 1000 on it since the new turbo. I haven't had a single problem with it. It shifts smooth and still gets from a-b and everything in between. Anyway, I take it that no one's ever heard of a tranny swap on these before. When I get ahold of one I'll post about it and let you all know how sweet it is.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had the shop put a manual transmission into my 1987 when the automatic box went out for the second time. Although I afterwards did many performance enhancements, changing from automatic to manual produced the biggest single apparent improvement. Of course, it was nice to get a little better fuel economy, too. But, the improvement wasn't really off-the-line, it was more apparent once boost had built.

Plenty of people have done the automatic to manual swap on a 9000. Supposedly it's fairly straightforward.

It is not really cost effective, however, unless you have a dirt-cheap source for the parts needed. I personally would never do it if my automatic transmission were working properly at the moment. Don't kid yourself that the manual will suddenly transform the off-the-line performance. It will still be slower than many (probably most) other vehicles off the line. I can't explain why this is, but it's true for every c900/9000 I have driven. If you want better throttle response and off-boost performance, you want a NG900, 9^3, or 9^5.

I'm sure there are C900/9000 running around with better low end performance, but they have likely had their timing advanced and/or are using aftermarket engine management.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aaron Gilbert said:
I had the shop put a manual transmission into my 1987 when the automatic box went out for the second time. Although I afterwards did many performance enhancements, changing from automatic to manual produced the biggest single apparent improvement. Of course, it was nice to get a little better fuel economy, too. But, the improvement wasn't really off-the-line, it was more apparent once boost had built.

Plenty of people have done the automatic to manual swap on a 9000. Supposedly it's fairly straightforward.

It is not really cost effective, however, unless you have a dirt-cheap source for the parts needed. I personally would never do it if my automatic transmission would working properly at the moment. Don't kid yourself that the manual will suddenly transform the off-the-line performance. It will still be slower than many (probably most) other vehicles off the line. I can't explain why this is, but it's true for every c900/9000 I have driven. If you want better throttle response and off-boost performance, you want a NG900, 9^3, or 9^5.

I'm sure there are C900/9000 running around with better low end performance, but they have likely had their timing advanced and/or are using aftermarket engine management.
thanks alot dude you were very helpful and made me feel a little reassured.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
gofaster said:
Are you Reffering to like injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc.?
I would suspect your now trying to control a bit more mid range torque ref: your upgrades, & it now kicks in quite hard, tuning an auto requires a far more suttle torque build

1 - 14 of 14 Posts