SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone! I am brand new to Saab Central and am just now getting into Saabs for their uniqueness.

I really enjoy my 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector but have had a vast array of transmission/gearbox malfunction issues =(

My car is the 2003 Vector model and is the 5 speed high pressure automatic transmission.

I am looking for any help that I am able to get for my particualr issue so for anyone who might know anything and is willing to read my thread PLEASE help!
Again: for any of you who are willing to read this:I appreciate it more than you know.

Timeline of events:
First: I had a "gearbox malfunction limited performance contact Saab dealer" warning in my SID and I dont remember my exact error code but it just said input/turbine speed sensor no input etc, drove it around for a few months in limp mode (only 2nd and 5th gear work) only to find out that I was ortunate because in some cases your tranny goes out fast after getting this error message but anyway I changed the input speed sensor and it fixed it

Secondly: A few months later I had the same "gearbox malfunction limited performance etc" appear on my SID as well as my car going into limp mode, scanned it right away and I hade the error code P1743, within a few more minutes of driving my tranny began to fail on me completely, (I couldn't drive faster than 40 mph but sometimes I could drive just fine freeway speeds with very slipping and sloppy shifts) very random tranny performance but still slipping constantly especially when engine/tranny heated up, also my car would stall upon stopping and I was told that this was probably the solonoid locking up my torque converter.
Later on i got the codes p0732, p0733, p0735 etc which means Gear 2, 3 and 5 incorrect ratio.
ANYWAY------ I replaced my automatic transmission completely (used tranny, 47,000 miles) and my car seemed to be fine! Except for after just five heart pounding minutes of driving I got the "gearbox malfunction" light on my sid again! and this time it was error code "p0743 Torque Converter Clutch Solonoid Circuit Electrical"
I removed my transmission oil pan and found that three of the harnesses going into the solonoids weren't plugged in completely! At the sound of each "click" I literally struck Gold! and after putting my tranny pan back on, this made my problem go away completely other than the fact that after driving for just a few minutes AGAIN, I got a p0720 code "output shaft speed sensor circuit" which I new how to fix because of my "input speed sensor experience" So anyway, I had an extra output/input speed sensor laying in my garage as an extra from the new tranny, installed it and I struck gold again! Yay!! NOT.
Perfect driving/shifting, NO warning light period.... for almost two full days anyway
Now: (and this was about four days and two code clearings ago) after driving fairly long distance on the freeway, the dreaded "Gearbox Malfunction Limited Performance Contact Saab blah blah" light came on AGAIN on my SID!! makes me nervous and my heart start pounding every time I hear the "dung dahh" beeping and then I see orange in my SID.. I HATE IT!! It's as If I am developing a Saab driving phobia!

I ran the code for my check engine light and AGAIN, it was p1743, the same exact code I had JUST MOMENTS before my tranny failed on me a few thousand dollars and a few weeks before! =( I think I found a little terd on my seat after driving home the one hour it took

My current situation: ( March 25th, 2009 )
1. When I clear the code: my car seems perfect in every aspect for about 2 days but then the "gearbox malfunction" light comes on again and it goes into limp mode but the tranny still seems perfect and does not slip at all

2. If I just shut my engine off and restart it in a few minutes: still have the check engine and gearbox light and it drives and shifts fine for about an hour but then it just goes into limp mode again after an hour or so! especially during longer freeway drives.

The tranny fluid I used with the replacement of the tranny was dexron III mercon which i heard was no good. It seems to be a little more brown. I am getting Toyota T-IIII jws3309 fluid today and am going to have the old fluid pumped out and refilled.

I was thinking that maybe replacing the fluid with good fluid would fix it but my question is why did I get the p1734 code earlier even with my "good" fluid just before my tranny went out??

(I don't know what type of fluid it was earlier because I have never replaced it before other than during the tranny replacement but it did keep my tranny fine for the 1 year ive owned it so it must have been good fluid)

Question: Is (p1743) a whole seperate issue I have had all along for a few weeks now? will it kill my tranny again? Am I even asking the right questions?-

---Mainly I would just love it if anyone was able to tell me exactly what P1743 means and what i should do or try to do to fix this issue because I believe it may be the last of my problems, P1743 doesn't seem to be make/code specific
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for your help!!!

Again, currently my 2003 Saab 9-3 has error code p1743 and goes into limp mode after driving 1 hr-2 days with "gearbox malfunction" light with no transmission slippage.

As you are probably aware by now: I have done almost everything and anything I could but always have a new problem with my gearbox come up!
I hope that this wasn't too confusing, I apologize for the long story but my SAABstory, is in fact, a very long and dreadful one.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Wow:eek: Do you have a Tech II yourself to read and clear codes?

Don't mean to be a smart a** but these things are best left to the dealers.
Why are you attempting to do all this yourself?

There was a recall on MY03' for the o-ring for the tranny coolant. By chance was this done to your car?

And where are you located? Put it in your signature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I do not have a Tech II, I usually just go into a Schucks/Kragen/Orielly auto parts store and they always let you rent an OBDII scanner for free for your ID as collateral. It allows you to clear any code shown but obviously if the problem is still there the light will always come back on. The dealership was actually the first place I have ever taken my car in for some other issue (ICM2 not working) my great grandmother ended up figuring out for me. (This was back when I had a very limited amount of knowledge of Saabs) They got 108 dollars out of me for letting me sit in their lobby. I have very little money as of late so I have just been taking it to Saab garages here and there (R&H Saab and Scanwest Motorsports, in the Seattle area) they have helped me a little with certain issues but my financial difficulties have still lead me to doing the majority of the repairs myself. Laid off, just can't afford to pay so much. There is only one Saab dealership left here in the Puget sound area and they are actually quite far and again, too expensive for me. I have actually had success on many occasions, just having trouble figuring this P1743 issue out that's all =)
Thank you for your response Cosmicflash! I really hope I am able to get help with my post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh really? Usually the only thing that I am able to find for P1743 is "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Failied On" Does that mean the same exact thing as "torque converter clutch solenoid failure"? Better yet, what exactly does "Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Failied On" mean? Seems to have an ambiguous meaning to me. In another case when I checked it on an OBD II it said ""Throttle Position Invalid Signal (4L30-E Transmission)"" but I'm sure that is for another make because it was having difficulty recognizing the make and that doesn't really make sense.

Also, I see about four to six little cylinders inside the tranny oil pan, which one is the solonoid that I would replace?
does anyone know?
Pardon my vast array of questions. I just really want to get this fixed once and for all and drive a good Saab!
Thank you for your response JonV =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually experience the same problem!

To: So SAAB

Im experiencing the same story you went threw! I have a 2003 9-3 linear and on the central command of the car it states "gear box malfunction" the check engine light is on. so I went to my mecanic we ran the codes and got the same 3 codes you have p1743... all of them stating gear ratio problems. I recently purchased a used tranny and im anxious to see if with the new tranny would disappear the codes. i will keep you posted!
I was reading other comments and someone posted that in order for those codes to be erased and the tranny to work properly and not mess up after and hour is to update the car computer software! I have no idea how that works but its worth a try asking your dealer.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
there are three steps to solve the problem for this code P1743:
1.- check the transmission oil level, action to be taken,......... fill up to the level.
2.- check for oil specification...................,, if not, change to the oil transmission for the oil specified for your transmission.
if none of these points, 1-2 solve the problem, then
3.- change the gear box
I will try to find more info.......but it takes me some time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you I actually ...

Thank you I actually already cheked the oil and it looked pretty normal, but when you say change the gear box do you mean replace the whole transmission with a new one or is it to reconstruct the actual one that it has???? I just ran the obd II scanner on my car again and its actually now showing the codes p0734, p0733, p0735 i read a couple of reviews and this codes mean incorrect gear ratio on 3rd 4th 5th gear what can i do? is it better to replace the whole transmission or can it be just an o-ring problem i need help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm...hate to get involved but here it goes. I'm not experienced on Saab auto transmissions but I have seen a similar situation on an auto trans before. It's possible that the first trans shed some metal into the fluid and it got into the cooling circuit and if not flushed when the other transmission was installed, it may have contaminated the new unit. I wonder about this as I do know that it takes very little to disable a solenoid...one tiny speck of metal getting through and the piston in the solenoid gets stuck. When you mentioned the fault code "on", it could be that the solenoid was stuck in the "on" position. In any case, you sound like the inclined type with some ability and transmissions are not rocket science, though to work on them you have to be super sterile about it and go in with some knowledge. At this point, you have already been "in there" so I wouldn't be afraid to pull the pan and remove any accessable selector valves/solenoids/valve bodies etc. on at a time and clean with a suitable solvent. Try to clean over some lint free cloth and keep an eye out for any debris. You should know how to do the rest...it is possible to install a real spin on type filter in the cooling circuit if you ever feel you have to.
Please post when you figure this out as I want to know if these transmissions are any good since I'm looking to purchase a 2003 or 2004 with an auto trans.
Did the original trans have any metal in the fluid/pan?
Best of luck from Issaquah!

·
Registered
8 Posts
1.- check the transmission oil level, action to be taken,......... fill up to the level.
2.- check for oil specification...................,, if not, change to the oil transmission for the oil specified for your transmission.
3.- change the gear box
I will try to find more info.......but it takes me some time.

the faults codes have shown during normal drive and vanishing when you turn off engine for a while - if yes= it's not yet the gearbox damage.
it may still overheating after filling oil instead of changing. but ie depends:

how much km/miles ago was last gearbox oil changed in your 93?
what distance is between first time limp mode activated till now?
have you noticed any failure codes just before first time limp mode activate?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wis po 1734

WIS
Transmission \ with 5 speeds ... Technical data - Transducer ...
P1743 64
Attention
Read the preliminary instructions below. Make the tab below to start the troubleshooting procedure.
E Inhi
Lock-up, mechanical failure.
Fault Symptom
A message appears on the screen.
Onboard diagnostic
Type of diagnosis:
Continuously
Conditions of entry:
Engine and not in limp home.
Failure criterion:
9-3 (9440) 6 2006
Transmission \ with 5 speeds ... Technical data - Transducer ...
Add TCM rapid changes in shaft speed or TCM record the difference between the system input and the motor system to more than 100 rpm.
System reactions in case of failure:
Lock-Up function absent.
Poor quality change maneuver.
Diagnostic Aid
The diagnosis refers to:
Location of mechanical failures.
9-3 (9440) 6 2006 2

Originally Posted by jlrdrony
3.- change the gear box

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wis po0733/34/35

4. Transmission \ with 5 speeds ...

Technical data - Transducer ...

P0733/4/5 60

March 3/4/5, in relation to transmission failure.

Fault Symptom

A message appears on the screen.

Onboard diagnostic
Type of diagnosis:

Continuously

Conditions of entry:

Engine and not in limp home.
• Exception:
Oil temperature <20 ° C

9-3 (9440) 6 2006
4. Transmission \ with 5 speeds ... Technical data - Transducer ...
Accelerator pedal position <10%.
The driver drives in the March 3/4/5.
• Exceptions normal fault codes with failure to change:
The gear selector is in position D.
Change during the maneuver.
Battery voltage <10.5 V
• Malfunctioning in one of the following systems:
Incoming regime.
Outgoing regime.
Running position transducer coupled
Oil temperature
Engine speed.
ABS motor speed.
Accelerator pedal position.
Failure criterion:
The gear ratio measured from the control device differs by more than 20% of the expected value.
System reactions in case of failure:
Limp home
Diagnostic Aid
The diagnosis refers to:
Location of mechanical failures.
9-3 (9440) 6 2006 2
Originally Posted by jlrdrony
there are three steps to solve the problem for this code P1743.....PO0733/34/35:
3.- change the gear box

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
AT oil specification

automatic transmission fluid:
--premium mineral based transmission fluid, ATF 3309 (2004-2007, 1L)
SAAB 93160393.
--6-speed premium mineral based transmission fluid, ATF AW-1 (2005-2007, 1L)
SAAB 93165147.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have this same exact problem with my trans as well but mine doesnt happen every couple days its accually a scenerio type thing where I have to be in third, going up a steep hill and such. But I get the same P1743 code. But the minute I turn the car off and back on it drives completely normal until the same scenerio happens. It didnt do it before I tried doing a partial fluid change and I used castrol. But I think I am going to do a complete fluid change using the toyota type 4 which is perfect for our trans. I also changed my trans computer with a different one from an 05 and it seems to shift much better and hasnt done it since so who knows. Im just as confused as you let me know if you figure it out

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll chime in as I had some tranny issues a while back with the P1743 Code= torque converter clutch solenoid failure.

My tranny was running perf, smooth as butter, but then I got the code. I have a great machanic and he took out the tranny and he cleaned up/ran power to the torque converter clutch solenoid(on the bench). Everything looked/worked fine and it ran perf again for about 200 miles and then the code again.

To cut a long and expensive story short, we put 2 trannys in( 1st one by my mech, 2nd by SAAB) only to come to find that the REAL source was the TCM(Transmission control module).

Lessons learned:
1. Saab only warranties the tranny, not the labor so have a Saab dealer do the labor as they'll warranty the parts and labor if you do replace the tranny etc.
2. Not all new(replacement) Saab trannys are in perf condition...they say thats just the way it is.(I thought that was kind of lame)

It would appear that these cars rely heavily on computer controls. If the computer is jacked, it may point to other issues that are not the true source of the problem.

I see you have other codes, I did NOT experience those so I can't comment on those.

Funny thing too- my old tranny shifted slightly smoother than the new one. Go figure.....

In the end I have a new tranny and TCM( and will HOPEFULLY get another 100K miles out of it) but since I only paid 13.5 for the car, I'm not feeling too bad about the experience.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts