SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 9-3 se hot and im trying to put in the mtf0063. however, i was under the impression that the fill plug was 8mm and on top of the tranny? The plug that looks like its in the spot that the genuine saab diagram points out is 24mm however. is this the one that i open to fill the tranny? Also, do i really need to open up the check plug or can i get away w/ just measuring out 1.5L every time?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The big nut in lieu of the key means the tranny is full of synthetic oil not mineral motor oil.

The check plug is easy to get out with the wheels turned fully left. You can get it through the arch. You can get it from the top as well once you know where it is.

The drain pug is a bit awkward because it's close to the subframe. A short key (like wot comes with sockets) and a spanner on the key without the socket adaptor works well.

Oops! Wheels fully right.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Fill plug is on top, opening facing up. That is what you remove to fill. Mine is the old style, same 8 mm hex bit as the other two, but the new style is supposed to be easier. There is a diagram on the genuinesaab.com site.

It was suggested to run the car in gear when it was on the stands, before each time the transmission oil is drained. The reason for that is to get as much of the wear metal out of the transmission with the oil and not let it settle to the bottom.

The feel of the shifter improved considerably after I drained/flushed/refilled the gearcase. It was not a huge difference, and it took a couple days after I replaced the oil, but the crunchy feeling getting into gear is gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts