SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
13,566 Posts
I'm not the expert on this, but I think you at home cannot swap a small pinion bearing case with a large. IIRC Ericksson sold a kit to put the large pinion bearing in an old case, but it can't be done with factory parts. That's just my recollection.

· Registered
493 Posts
That would make sense, but I would look just the same, if I were in his shoes.
A lt depends on what time and space he has to store and work on a car that isn't runnable. I just wanted to point out that at least as of this fall, good used were available for less than 1/5th the price of a rebuild. You don't know what you will get until you go and open it or at least give a good look over.
If you need something NOW and 100% ready to drop in, then a rebuild might be worth the coin.

· Registered
493 Posts
May depend on locale, East coast tends to rot the bodies before the mechainiicals give out. The trans I got, from all that can be determined without a tear down, is in great shape. I was planning to tear down before install, but what I saw on inspection, I decided to take the chance, and install without complete disassembly.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The real question before him is are the cases interchangeable? As long as the main case is not damaged on the present trans and the guts of the damaged case are still good, could one be made from two?
I would be interested in what differs between the 55 series transmission and the 45 and why they were run at the same time in production?
There was a member on Cape Cod that was selling off his collection of transmissions, and the guy in Conn that I bought mine from had a few others. Most were epoxied around the oil drain and later boxes, There is also a place in Upstate NY that is closing and selling off what they have (Saab Parts Pro).
There are options, none that are very convenient, but a lot cheaper.
Yes, I contacted him about one that's listed on Ebay. I would prefer to acquire that and then rebuild it with whatever new parts I can, and salvage anything more major from the one that was damaged in shipping. That way I don't have to down another car on the lift while I fiddle with old Saab stuff for an indeinite period of time.

· Registered
493 Posts
I just need 1-2 syncro and 1st gear, may be 1-2 shift fork on mine, but after searching for a long time I decided that a complete trans was easier to locate, and I have the one I take out to have for spares. I'd still buy those parts if I could find them and rebuild/repair what is wrong with my original.
Which guy are you talking about? There are a few people on the east coast that have parts. I don't think they will be around for ever Many of the bigger independent shops that had their own stash of parts are closing and selling off everything they have left, too little demand to keep the stuff around anymore. .
Guy I bought from had at least 2 may be more transmissions Most of the newer ones had epoxy around the oil drain, the hard part about welding that up is getting all the old oil out of crack to prevent weld contamination.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I just need 1-2 syncro and 1st gear, may be 1-2 shift fork on mine, but after searching for a long time I decided that a complete trans was easier to locate, and I have the one I take out to have for spares. I'd still buy those parts if I could find them and rebuild/repair what is wrong with my original.
Which guy are you talking about? There are a few people on the east coast that have parts. I don't think they will be around for ever Many of the bigger independent shops that had their own stash of parts are closing and selling off everything they have left, too little demand to keep the stuff around anymore. .
Guy I bought from had at least 2 may be more transmissions Most of the newer ones had epoxy around the oil drain, the hard part about welding that up is getting all the old oil out of crack to prevent weld contamination.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If it comes to down to a rebuild, I had Chirs Myles rebuild my trans. He was great and recommend him highly.
Good to know, thank you, but I don’t think doing the work will be an issue for me. It’s more about what parts will I need, and what’s readily available new. With Porsche everything can be obtained fairly easily, but it seems that Saab is the opposite.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Why not just replace the bearings in the gearbox that's OK except for a failing bearing?
That’s certainly an option, but I think it would be nice to have the higher ratio gearbox. And in my limited experience with Saabs thus far it seems that nothing goes as smoothly as I would expect and there’s always more to do that’s not necessarily related to the initial issue. I would rather not down the car on my lift for very long, especially not knowing exactly what’s wrong. There was a ton of metal debris on the drain plug when I changed the fluid the second time, so that’s not a good sign.

· Registered
493 Posts
That’s certainly an option, but I think it would be nice to have the higher ratio gearbox. And in my limited experience with Saabs thus far it seems that nothing goes as smoothly as I would expect and there’s always more to do that’s not necessarily related to the initial issue. I would rather not down the car on my lift for very long, especially not knowing exactly what’s wrong. There was a ton of metal debris on the drain plug when I changed the fluid the second time, so that’s not a good sign.
Look at the overall gear ratios they aren't that different. The finals changed the primaries were changed overall ratios stayed close.
I am with you, I'd rather have one ready to go, the problems worked out before the job is started then have to stop mid build to find a hard to find part. It also allows you to later repair the original box for a spare.
Depends on what your situation is and if you can store the car until the work can be done.
It is hard learned experience, working on antiques and vehicles that were never imported for sale in this country. It may not be the cheapest approach to a problem, but I find it works for me.

· Registered
13,764 Posts
You'll need to fill & machine the countershaft worn spot. You may be able to bore the cluster gear slightly to accomodate a larger roller to replace the NLA countershaft bearing.
All the other bearings can be matched & ordered through any bearing distributor.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts