SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I haven't been around in a bit, but since I was doing something on the old beast I thought I'd ask here.
I have the factory wiring kit for trailer wiring. Maybe I didn't need to get it, but with the brake lamp test etc I thought it might be best.

Anyway, it is a little confusing on a couple of items, they hook it in behind the left rear trim panel, I'm not sure what that one does. The rest makes mostly sense, although I think it goes together with a loom that goes to the trailer plug that I don't have. I can just wire the big plug to a 4 prong I'm using.
It also goes up to the brake lamp power, I guess that is so it doesn't draw anything through the brake lamp 'out sensor'.

Anyone one here done this?

I'm planning on using one of the converter boxes too, so I probably wasted my money with the harness- but at least I don't have to cut into any of the wires.

Mark

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
According to Haynes, the violet brake light wire for a trailer bypasses the ICE(integrated central electronics).. A handy way of checking ones brake lights..

The harness behind the boot LS panel may be for the CD player, an option..

BTW, Lotus, what do you have in the way of an automobile ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the instructions have you use the violet wire up near the steering column.
It isn't the CD player plug they show, since I have one of those. I just don't see anything at a quick look.
But thinking about it, I think it is using one of the original plugs that is plugged into something, but the trailer harness has two plugs, one to plug into each side (tapping off the car wiring with no cutting). At least that is what I think.

I currently have a 97 SAAB 900S and a 2005 Lotus Elise.
( I've owned a few Lotus Europas of the type 54 variety, hence the 'Lotus54' name)

earthworm said:
According to Haynes, the violet brake light wire for a trailer bypasses the ICE(integrated central electronics).. A handy way of checking ones brake lights..

The harness behind the boot LS panel may be for the CD player, an option..

BTW, Lotus, what do you have in the way of an automobile ??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the harness today.
As I got looking at everything, if finally all made sense.

1. The plugs I was trying to figure out behind the panel on the left rear-- There is a bundle wrapped up in foam, one of these is a four pin connector. You unplug this, then plug the hitch wiring harness into both sides.

2. Indeed the Violet wire on the big grey connector close to your left foot when sitting in the driver's seat. Pull down the panel under the steering wheel, then that plug is near the floor, close to the door, behind the carpet. Cut the viotet wire, then put the supplied connector onto the *wiring harness side* (not the big connector side that is on the car). This new plug connects to the hitch wiring harness (supplying brake lamp power to the hitch without going through the ICE).

3. The fuse box was a little confusing, remove the lower 'pin' from the #30 fuse (blue/white wires). This requires a very small diameter probe to release the original plug. Then install the plug from the kit (it is just the same). The plug you took out of the fusebox then goes into a supplied receptical, and plugs into the hitch harness.

4. The rear lamp connectors are easy, unplug the factory wiring, plug in the hitch harness, then plug the factory wiring into the other hitch harness plug.

Next I need to connect the big plug to my 'converter box'.

Hope that may help someone in the future. I don't know if many people use this harness, but it IS available from SAAB.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts