SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to post a picture of the 9-3 - prefereably the convertible! - with a trailer hitch?

Anyone have it put on aftermarket? How much does the removeable one cost?

Dr. C

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The Saab hitch is removeable, so when not in use you just have a plastic cover plate that is unobtrusive.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dr. Caramba said:
Anyone care to post a picture of the 9-3 - prefereably the convertible! - with a trailer hitch?

Anyone have it put on aftermarket? How much does the removeable one cost?

Dr. C
Here ya go...
We're trying to learn how to play with our new digital camera. Not doing too well....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brob2!

I appreciate the pics! Its hard to tell but when removed does black cover hang quite low? Does it look ugly or is does the cover fit snug on the car? Is it easy to put on and remove?

Sorry all the questions!

Dr. C

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dr. Caramba said:
Thanks Brob2!

I appreciate the pics! Its hard to tell but when removed does black cover hang quite low? Does it look ugly or is does the cover fit snug on the car? Is it easy to put on and remove?

Sorry all the questions!

Dr. C
I think it looks quite good. This is the SAAB hitch and cover sold in North America, and the cover fits well. Its nice and snug and the same shade and texture of black as the bumper stripes. Its very easy to remove and put on- just pull out one pin. The cover comes right off and I store it in the trunk. I may try for a clearer picture to post.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BRob2: Thanks for your reply and in advance for any more pictures from beautiful Halifax!

Rugbybrado: good question! I drive my car ost of the time alone, now and then with one other person, and 2 to 3 times do a road trip with my wife and two babies. For those road trip occasions I used to have a roof box for my current 9-3 sedan. In order to justify my purchasing a cabrio I decided that with a trailer hitch I will simply rent a small trailer to haul all of our luggage!

That's the reason!

Dr.C

·
Registered
462 Posts
Dr. Caramba said:
BRob2: Thanks for your reply and in advance for any more pictures from beautiful Halifax!

Rugbybrado: good question! I drive my car ost of the time alone, now and then with one other person, and 2 to 3 times do a road trip with my wife and two babies. For those road trip occasions I used to have a roof box for my current 9-3 sedan. In order to justify my purchasing a cabrio I decided that with a trailer hitch I will simply rent a small trailer to haul all of our luggage!

That's the reason!

Dr.C
Pfff! You don't need a trailer hitch, you need a Chevy Suburban 2500. Two adults and two children clearly requires a full-size SUV. :cheesy:

Seriously, I commend your resourcefulness. I understand the appeal of a convertible and you don't want to let its shortcomings hurt you. Good idea with the trailer!

·
Banned
209 Posts
strat81 said:
Pfff! You don't need a trailer hitch, you need a Chevy Suburban 2500. Two adults and two children clearly requires a full-size SUV. :cheesy:
You forgot to add the huge mud tires, 4 wheel drive, and horse trailer.

I completely agree, its good to see someone use there car wisely instead of trying to go over-kill with a huge vechicle that they dont actually need.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the remarks!
I'm still wondering whether to hold off until I really need it. Still concerned about how it looks when removed and with the cover in place. BRob2 was kind enough to include a couple pics but I am not getting a clear impression of how much it sticks down and back from those particular photos...

Hoping someone may be able to snap a couple more photos of the trailer hitch :roll:

Dr. C

·
Registered
641 Posts
No Trailer, use one of those bins you can use with the hitch

Forget the trailer, I'd go with one of those carriers that mount on the hitch. You then load it up, maybe cover with a tarp if your worried about the weather. That way you still have access to the trunk, and when you reach you destination just remove the carrier and lock it up somewhere.

Easier than a trailer

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MichSaab!

That's an incredible thought and I appreciate your initiative and bothering to even post that idea!

Now, the obvious question is how much weight can those carriers take? You are talking about the bike carriers right? I assumed they could not carry much though 3 bikes is what I read somewhere. Do you happen to know the max load for that accessory?

Thanks so much again!

Dr. C

·
Registered
641 Posts
No, a metal tray for the hitch

No, I was really thinking of a unit that is a metal tray with say 3 inch sides. The unit hooks into the trailer hitch. The sides are set up with holes to allow you to tie down the items with say Bungy cords.

Do a search on any trailer hitch web site, you'll see it as an asscy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dr. Caramba said:
Thanks guys for the remarks!
I'm still wondering whether to hold off until I really need it. Still concerned about how it looks when removed and with the cover in place. BRob2 was kind enough to include a couple pics but I am not getting a clear impression of how much it sticks down and back from those particular photos...

Hoping someone may be able to snap a couple more photos of the trailer hitch :roll:

Dr. C
Lets try this one...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
and finally...

a peer of yours (surgeon) is visiting me this week in order to attend a Pearl Jam concert tonight, and forced his way into the picture. His nickname is peglegs. Don't know why.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts