SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking into a trailer hitch for a small UHaul trailer (4'x8' or 5'x8')

It seems like a good hitch receiver to get for this car is a Draw Tite Class II 1-1/4".

I'm not sure where the plug for the hitch is and whether or not I need to buy some kind of plug kit.
I assume my car is not prewired unless it came that way out of the factory so there is probably no trailer connection...Now what? One of these below?
http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2002_Saab_9-3.htm

The best resource on this forum I've found is:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151496&highlight=trailer+hitch

Also if anyone else is trying to figure this out, the instruction manual for the Draw Tite hitch online here helped:
http://www.draw-tite.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1000&catID=1020&part=36280

But I still have the above questions.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Looking into a trailer hitch for a small UHaul trailer (4'x8' or 5'x8')

It seems like a good hitch receiver to get for this car is a Draw Tite Class II 1-1/4".

I'm not sure where the plug for the hitch is and whether or not I need to buy some kind of plug kit.
I assume my car is not prewired unless it came that way out of the factory so there is probably no trailer connection...Now what? One of these below?
The Draw-Tite will work well.

For wiring, dig around your trunk to see if there's a connector there. I did not find one in any of the 900s I looked in, including mine unfortunately. The 9-3 may be different.

If you don't find a factory plug of some sort, then you want a trailer light converter for cars with separate brake/turn lights that runs off battery power. That means that the trailer light module powers the trailer lights via its battery connection, while the input from your car's lights only provide a triggering signal to the converter module.

Note that not all converter modules are battery-powered. The one in the Draw-Tite page appears to be. Tip: you can find these in the junkyard pretty easy if you're there for other parts, and it won't cost you much.

Instead of splicing into the car's rear harness, I plugged the module's signal input wires into the backside of the taillight connectors in the proper slots for each light. Basically, strip the module's e.g. stop-light signal wire, find the stop light wire going into the car's taillight connector, and poke the stripped wire in there.

This seems to work just fine, and makes things easily reversible. I used the power antenna's constant +12V feed to power the module, but that doesn't really provide enough current and I am partway through pulling in +12V from the front of the car.

If the 9-3 is anything like the 900, you will have fun getting the carriage bolts through the frame rails to attach the hitch. I got one of those flexible magnetic wands to shove the bolts through the rails while staying upright. That didn't work quite as well as I had hoped, but I did get them in. There's the alternative "tie a string" approach, which may work better, but I'm not about to drop my hitch to find out one way or the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts