SaabCentral Forums banner

Trade in? Jetta for 92x.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  socaldave11 
#1 ·
Well, I'm facing a dilemma. I just bought a 2003 Jetta GLS in perfect condition in April. I like the car but I saw the current promotions on the 92x and I'm getting a little wanderlust, again. I'm thinking the Aero 5spd + sunroof package (sport?) are what I want. With the current pricing, I'd end up at about $21125 + TTL. If I could get the dealer to give me a decent value on my Jetta (~$13500), I'd be all over it. That value on my trade is slightly on the high side, based on what I've seen.

I wonder if with the current promotion, I'll not have any luck with getting the dealer to negotiate a good deal on my trade. :\ Are these things in such high demand that the dealer would let me walk away over a few 100 $ on the trade? I mean, even if they turn around and make no money on the sale of my trade, they'd still come out ahead, right? I'm hoping for a call from the dealer tomorrow to talk it over with them. Wish me luck. :)

#2 ·
Depends on where you are. I couldn't get the dealer to buy my 98 Explorer, they were going to have an auction house bid for it. I figure I'll make more selling it outright.
If there are other dealerships in the area, they probably won't let you away easily. If they are the only one within 60 or so miles, often they are taught by the managers that customers will give up eventually if they really want the car. Since they aren't getting great margins on the 9-2, they probably don't like to have to worry about trade values, and will lowball anyone.
This GM plan has dropped the bottom out of the used car market, with so many people trading them in at the other dealerships.

#3 ·
I doubt the dealer will give you any more than wholesale for your current car. They wanted to give me below wholesale on mine, $8k for my 2000 prelude. I put it on autotrader and had it sold for $11500 within a week.

The promotion lasts until July 5th. So why not try and sell your car until then? The most you lose is about $100 in ads and stuff. But the most you can gain is probably about $3k.. def worth the risk/reward.

#4 ·
I had a 2000 Jetta and the offer they gave me was laughable. I'm just going to sell it on my own.

As for the demand and bargaining with the dealers, it's a double edged sword. Yes, the demand for these cars is way up because of the fantastic deals, but that doesn't mean you should just cave without bargaining. The fact is, once these deals end (cash back, employee discount, etc.), dealers are going to find it IMPOSSIBLE to sell their 9-2x's. Who in their right mind would pay $30,000 for a car that a month ago you could get for $20,000? Instead dealers will have to go way below their invoice price because they are no longer getting reimbursed from the cash back offers.

Just keep all of this in mind when you negotiate. If the dealer is being a real pain, bring this up, and tell them that they are really gambling by not making a deal with you. There's no guarantee that someone else will come in before the rebates, incentives end.

#5 ·
socaldave11 said:
I had a 2000 Jetta and the offer they gave me was laughable. I'm just going to sell it on my own.

As for the demand and bargaining with the dealers, it's a double edged sword. Yes, the demand for these cars is way up because of the fantastic deals, but that doesn't mean you should just cave without bargaining. The fact is, once these deals end (cash back, employee discount, etc.), dealers are going to find it IMPOSSIBLE to sell their 9-2x's. Who in their right mind would pay $30,000 for a car that a month ago you could get for $20,000? Instead dealers will have to go way below their invoice price because they are no longer getting reimbursed from the cash back offers.

Just keep all of this in mind when you negotiate. If the dealer is being a real pain, bring this up, and tell them that they are really gambling by not making a deal with you. There's no guarantee that someone else will come in before the rebates, incentives end.
I'll keep that line in mind. The offer they gave me was the exact kbb trade in value for the car - which means ridiculously low considering they'll turn around and try to sell it for the $4000 difference between the trade in value and the retail in kbb. I've sent out a couple email requests and I'll just sit tight until the end of the month when the dealers are sweating the end of the promotion and there are still 3 linears sitting on the lot and a couple aero's asking to be sold from port. Then power will be shifted back to the buyer, as it should be. ;)

#6 ·
torifile said:
I'll keep that line in mind. The offer they gave me was the exact kbb trade in value for the car - which means ridiculously low considering they'll turn around and try to sell it for the $4000 difference between the trade in value and the retail in kbb. I've sent out a couple email requests and I'll just sit tight until the end of the month when the dealers are sweating the end of the promotion and there are still 3 linears sitting on the lot and a couple aero's asking to be sold from port. Then power will be shifted back to the buyer, as it should be. ;)
Haha! I went to another dealer (about 60 miles away!) and got nearly my target price. It's almost exactly what I paid when I bought it! I'm only losing the admin fees that I'll have to pay twice. Totally worth it! In my state (NC) I don't have to pay tax on the value of the trade so I'll save a cool $400 that way. Now I just need to convince my wife that this is a good deal.

Aero, 5spd, sport package. All at employee prices.

#8 ·
socaldave11 said:
Ha! Congrats! When talking to your wife, remember the utility of the cargo space and the safety of all wheel drive! LOL.
Will do.

Also, I forgot a potentially important detail. My wife's 5'0" tall. Is she going to have a problem with the clutch? She can do it in my Jetta. Any one have any ideas (since we're not actually going to be able to drive the car before we buy it, this is a pretty big concern). Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.