SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new to the site and am having a difficult time with my 04' Saab 9-3. Well, my car was running flawlessly up until it didn't want to start. Now, when I place the Fob in the start position, I get the "Traction Control Failure" message and my fuel pump keeps kicking on and off. I have looked everywhere for a broken wire of any color and found a couple with cracked coating that I fixed. But, the car still does the same thing. No turning over when key is in the start position, gadges don't move, traction control failure message, fuel pump kicks on and off until I turn the car off. I checked the battery and it checks good. Car drove flawless and then all of the sudden, BAM! Not sure what else to do. :evil: A good ol' rag and a lighter will do the trick. Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Update: here is a youtube video link of my car symptoms.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4Hv6Pzuw0

·
Registered
385 Posts
Need more details about the behavior of the issues to point you in the right direction. Like, does it randomly die while driving? intermittent start issues? Do you have check engine codes? Only happens during warm starts? . . . behavior and patterns are key.

Its pretty hard to check wires visually as they can't be accessed at part and I have seen internal corrosion that can't be seen visually. Best to get a meter with some long leads and start testing resistance.

Oh, and welcome! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need more details about the behavior of the issues to point you in the right direction. Like, does it randomly die while driving? intermittent start issues? Do you have check engine codes? Only happens during warm starts? . . . behavior and patterns are key.

Its pretty hard to check wires visually as they can't be accessed at part and I have seen internal corrosion that can't be seen visually. Best to get a meter with some long leads and start testing resistance.

Oh, and welcome! :)
All I can say is it happened suddenly. The car will not even attempt to turn over. Battery tests good, gas tank reads empty but I know it is 3/4 full. The fuel pump just keeps kicking on and off and the display read that there was a traction control failure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
battery ground

I had the same thing... remove battery ground under the battery clean with sandpaper also undo other grounds and clean them. There is a ground on the abs, and also to the body and transmission underneath. They are dissimilar metals and form a powder oxide underneath. I added a ground from the body ground to the one under the battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is that with the engine running..
No, that is with car off. The car will not even attempt to start. I just see the Traction Control Failure message and here the fuel pump kicking on and off continuously in the ON and Start position... But, last I checked the voltage was 14.2 while running....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the same thing... remove battery ground under the battery clean with sandpaper also undo other grounds and clean them. There is a ground on the abs, and also to the body and transmission underneath. They are dissimilar metals and form a powder oxide underneath. I added a ground from the body ground to the one under the battery.
I did check the ground wires and they were all very clean and tight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had that problem a couple years ago when an aftermarket Tuner gave me a corrupted file to load into my ECU. I could start the car once, then the second start - all the problems you mention would occur.

For a short-term fix (1 start), IIRC, I would pull the #2 fuse in the engine compartment, count to 10, then put it back in. But, it might have been the #4 fuse - sorry for my defective memory. Just look on the inside of the fuse panel cover for the Traction Control fuse.

Worst case, you can unhook the negative cable from your Battery. That will "reset" all the computers.

Either way, by doing so, you can now start your car - 1 time. Don't screw it up. :)

Finally after several attempts to fix the problem with upgraded Tunes, the Tuner realized he had given me a corrupted file, corrected the problem, and I've never had the problem since.

So, perhaps there's something wrong with the ECU's file, or the Traction Control System computer? Or for some reason the 2 computers aren't communicating with each other?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help diagnostically

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had that problem a couple years ago when an aftermarket Tuner gave me a corrupted file to load into my ECU. I could start the car once, then the second start - all the problems you mention would occur.

For a short-term fix (1 start), IIRC, I would pull the #2 fuse in the engine compartment, count to 10, then put it back in. But, it might have been the #4 fuse - sorry for my defective memory. Just look on the inside of the fuse panel cover for the Traction Control fuse.

Worst case, you can unhook the negative cable from your Battery. That will "reset" all the computers.

Either way, by doing so, you can now start your car - 1 time. Don't screw it up. :)

Finally after several attempts to fix the problem with upgraded Tunes, the Tuner realized he had given me a corrupted file, corrected the problem, and I've never had the problem since.

So, perhaps there's something wrong with the ECU's file, or the Traction Control System computer? Or for some reason the 2 computers aren't communicating with each other?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help diagnostically
I have removed every fuse and they were all good. I also disconnected the battery for several hours and nothing. I am starting to believe ECU is toast.... I am not sure on how to test it or where to get it tested....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flashing ECM

Hello..

Does anybody know where or how I can get my ECM flashed for my 2004 Saab 9-3? I had it towed to a GM dealer a few days ago and they don't seem to know a damn thing... They are telling me they can't do it. I have been trying to get this done for some time now and everywhere I call, I get the same thing "We cannot do it" or "We don't work on any Saabs" I mean all I need them to do is flash the VIN, right? Sorry for all the complaining... I would just like to have my car back and running. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Your location updated in your profile would help immensely.....

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Any one of the tuners can flash an ECU. JZWTuning, BrewCityBoost, MPS, MikeD, VTUner etc...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts