SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone run a proper open intake on the track or drag strip, i've got a spare n/s headlight with a cracked lense so i pulled it apart and the back is perfect for a 3" intake tube, just need to get hold of a broken o/s headlight now:D .

I'm going to get a spare air box and replace the intake pipe with a 3" hole, then connect the back of the headlight to the air box using some flexi ducting.

Should feed a very good supply of air into the box:cool: , only any use off road though, unless you can legally run with one headlight!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Si said:
Has anyone run a proper open intake on the track or drag strip, i've got a spare n/s headlight with a cracked lense so i pulled it apart and the back is perfect for a 2.5" intake tube, just need to get hold of a broken o/s headlight now:D .

I'm going to get a spare air box and replace the intake pipe with a 2.5" hole, then connect the back of the headlight to the air box using some flexi ducting.

Should feed a very good supply of air into the box:cool: , only any use off road though, unless you can legally run with one headlight!

nope u need your lights to be ligel

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should smooth out all the bumps and such inside there to make it a nice smooth surface for the air to flow over. That would look pretty awesome I think.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
guess that gives him something to shoot for :cool:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slightly different application, i'm going to keep the stock air box with the JT filter i have in it, just extend and enlarge the pipe that feed the air box, the headlight is a good shape and in a good position to act as a 'ram air' intake.

I think it's worth it for £10-20 in parts, if you can get a bit of positive pressure in the airbox surley the turbo won't have to work as hard to create boost and create less heat in the process.

Maybe worth getting a some readings from a vacuum gauge in the air box and then compare when i've done the mod and see if there is any difference.

I've seen a few pic's from the US of c900's running without a headlight so it must be legal somewhere!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Put the filter on the outside!

Open air or what :cool:

Oh and secure that engine!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Put the filter on the outside!

Open air or what :cool:

Oh and secure that engine!

holy batman... what kinda lip kit is on that thing!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Shirozina said:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112337
Seems you need 450bhp+ before the stock intake becomes a problem.
Before it becomes a problem yes, but that doesn't mean that you wont gain anything from changing your stock intake unless you have 450 horse. this type of mod specifically could yeild some nice changes, especially since the headlight is in a perfect position to have air slammed into it at speed.

My only tip I guess has already been said, smooth it out, fill in the space aroung the hole to make a funnel shape.

Give it a try!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'll rephrase it then - there are no gains to be had from replacing the stock intake - apart from noise and looks;) The only advantage with this mod over other so-called 'open -air ' intakes is that this is indeed 'open-air' and will not suck in power robbing hot air from under the bonnet.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Shirozina said:
I'll rephrase it then - there are no gains to be had from replacing the stock intake - apart from noise and looks;) The only advantage with this mod over other so-called 'open -air ' intakes is that this is indeed 'open-air' and will not suck in power robbing hot air from under the bonnet.
I think you're overlooking the ram air effect of this mod, thats a lot more than just looks and sound.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
thats a pretty simple concept, not sure what you'd like me to explain to you, and if you're trying to insult my intelligence, your only going to suceed in making yourself look like a fool.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
thats a pretty simple concept, not sure what you'd like me to explain to you, and if you're trying to insult my intelligence, your only going to suceed in making yourself look like a fool.
The concept is cool but I thought turbo's "sucked" air so adding pressure to the flow wouldnt actually have a benefit????

Feel free to make me look foolish if it helps :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
t_buck09 said:
holy batman... what kinda lip kit is on that thing!

It began life as a Subaru front splitter :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts