SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From reading other threads, and consulting a dealer, the batteries for the tire pressure monitoring sensors on our 2008 9-3 Aero are good for about 6-7 years. After 6 years, I'm replacing my tires, which means that the sensors won't make it to the next set.

I asked the dealer if he would deactivate the system, as has been suggested in other posts, but since 2008 when the sensors were required by law, he said they cannot do that.

GM sensors rival the cost of the tires. I've seen discussions about several aftermarket sensors. Which leads to these questions:

Whether I use GM or aftermarket sensors, do they need to be recalibrated or registered with the ECM for the system to respond properly?

If that is necessary, can anyone other than the Saab dealer (for example, a tire installer) reset the ECM to accept new non-GM sensors.

If so, is there a list or spec by which I could purchase sensors with confidence that they will properly interact with the Saab ECM?

Thanks for your help and experience.

Terry

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I bought my 2008 9-3 used, the Tpms sensors were missing and I was annoyed by the failure message and warning light all the time so I purchased a set online from Tpms direct dot com for $75 each. A Ford garage installed them with no need to program or learn anything. They just work automatic.
I also purchased a second set of wheels, tires and Tpms sensors from tirerack for Winter. I installed those myself in the driveway and they also work just fine. Don't let a dealership con you into paying more to have them "programmed"!
The local GM/Chevy dealer has a sign posted saying all 08+ cars cost "extra" when you rotate your tires because they need programming! Riiiiiiiiight!!!!
A Schrader brand sensor is what you need but Dorman or other 433mhz brands are probably fine also. Just google "2008 saab 9-3 Tpms sensors". Take your pick of retailers. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
From reading other threads, and consulting a dealer, the batteries for the tire pressure monitoring sensors on our 2008 9-3 Aero are good for about 6-7 years. After 6 years, I'm replacing my tires, which means that the sensors won't make it to the next set.

I asked the dealer if he would deactivate the system, as has been suggested in other posts, but since 2008 when the sensors were required by law, he said they cannot do that.

GM sensors rival the cost of the tires. I've seen discussions about several aftermarket sensors. Which leads to these questions:

Whether I use GM or aftermarket sensors, do they need to be recalibrated or registered with the ECM for the system to respond properly?

If that is necessary, can anyone other than the Saab dealer (for example, a tire installer) reset the ECM to accept new non-GM sensors.

If so, is there a list or spec by which I could purchase sensors with confidence that they will properly interact with the Saab ECM?

Thanks for your help and experience.

Terry

A couple of things:

1. As long as you use 433Mhz TPMS sensors, brand or aftermarket doesn't matter. What's important is that the sensors properly talk to the TPMM (module in car).

2. No, new sensors don't need to be programmed. After several miles of driving, the TPMM will pick up the new sensors on it's own. So no, replacing the sensors does not require you take a trip to the dealer.

3. Alternatively, you could skip spending the money on sensors altogether and deactivate the TPMS system. I know you said your dealer wouldn't do it, but I would be happy to do it for you free of charge. I deactivated TPMS on both my '08 and '09 9-3s and it's been great. I'm located in the north suburbs of Chicago if you'd like to make the trip at some point.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5,441 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Had mine tuned off

I had a friend on this site (with a Tech II) turn mine off.

Good riddance, I have no use for those expensive things.

I miss having a Regular Car Key too

Also, when I tried to install a power seat into my passanger side, The car would not power it (unless the Tech II told the computer to power it)

Damn this overly managed computer PITA crap

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thanks to all of you for the quick replies and useful information.

Swedespeed7, thank you for the offer of deactivating the system. Maybe someday I'll do that if I'm in the area. But for now, I've got four new Pirelli tires waiting to install, and don't plan to be in that part of the state anytime soon.

If everyone agrees with AVguy's suggestion, I'll probably just follow the link and get four new sensors from Amazon, and have them installed while the tires are being mounted.

Maybe I'll look at one of the old ones that comes off and see if they can be re-batteried for the next time around.

Again, thanks to everyone for sharing your experience.

Terry

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
Maybe I'll look at one of the old ones that comes off and see if they can be re-batteried for the next time around.

Terry
Terry,

Pretty sure the sensors' batteries can't be replaced as they are sealed units. But it's worth a shot! Good luck.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It is just a tiny watch type that is molded into the matrix of the unit. I dug into one with a knife on an old one just for the heck of it. :)

Now regarding the 6 to 7 years tquin mentions folks should be aware that the metal they use in the stems is only built to last 5 years before it starts corroding and, if you don't change them out, as I just found out the hard way, on my wife's car (5 years old 2009), one started leaking and we came out to a flat three days after I put new Pirelli's on.

That is a big deal because I just spent probably over $100 mount and balance then had to decide to go back and replace all 4 since I don't want Wifey dear stuck on a back road (actually I got the run-flats and she loves them), or the annoyance of going back to the shop three more times as others fail.

So, you folks who are getting new rubber should factor this in if you are getting new rubber and I sure couldn't fault the shop and had to eat the extra money to redo the whole job. Also, there was a wait to get four units so that put the car down for a few days.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Or, just avoid all that headache, use regular valve stems, and deactivate TPMS.
Some states check this on 2008+ cars and you could possibly not pass a state inspection. Anyone considering deactivating should be sure that it won't cause an issue. Also if you ever sell the car you might need to reactivate it.

Just my thoughts on that...

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
AVguy makes a very valid point and here in NJ, the bureaucrats have gutted the overall safety part of the inspection process; no more integrity of brakes, suspension, aim of headlights or horn and such.

The only things they look at are the tailpipe emissions, gas cap seal and they only do this because they need to in at risk of having federal highway dollars pulled, and any trouble lights on the dash.

So, you can drive a car without headlamps, horn, low tread tires, and a noodled suspension with bad ball joints, but God help us if you don't have TPMS.

Or wait, was this about TPMS or PMS? :eek::cheesy:

Freaking a'wipes make you wait in a remote area while they inspect now so you aren't supposed to witness all the things they DON'T inspect. Safety inspections were a pain but a least kept us honest.

·
Super Moderator
11,179 Posts
TireRack has begun its own database on state law TPMS regs.

In some states, vehicle inspection regulations require operating tire pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS) on every vehicle that came with TPMS as Original Equipment.

If your state is not listed below, please check with local law enforcement officials to confirm restrictions in your area. We will continue to add to the list below as information is available to us.
State - Does TPMS have to be functional in order to pass inspection?
Delaware - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Hawaii - Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.
Louisiana - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Maine - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Massachusetts - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Mississippi - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Missouri - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
New Hampshire - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
New Jersey - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
New York - No. TPMS is inspected but it is not grounds for inspection failure.
North Carolina - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Pennsylvania - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Rhode Island - Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.
Texas - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Utah - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Vermont - Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.
Virginia - No. Confirmed by the DMV.
West Virginia - Yes. TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I bought my 2008 9-3 used, the Tpms sensors were missing and I was annoyed by the failure message and warning light all the time so I purchased a set online from Tpms direct dot com for $75 each. A Ford garage installed them with no need to program or learn anything. They just work automatic.
I also purchased a second set of wheels, tires and Tpms sensors from tirerack for Winter. I installed those myself in the driveway and they also work just fine. Don't let a dealership con you into paying more to have them "programmed"!
The local GM/Chevy dealer has a sign posted saying all 08+ cars cost "extra" when you rotate your tires because they need programming! Riiiiiiiiight!!!!
A Schrader brand sensor is what you need but Dorman or other 433mhz brands are probably fine also. Just google "2008 saab 9-3 Tpms sensors". Take your pick of retailers. Hope this helps.

I am getting Costco to put some new Sensors on this week along with new tires and i am wondering if you experienced any issues? I want to make sure that they auto detect once I put them on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts