SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a buddy that works at a local tire shop, and when i went in today, we started talking about tires. he recommended The new Proxes 4's. so, with an EXCELLENT deal, i said why not..

40 minutes later, it was a new car! as of now, ive probably only got about 40 miles one them, so the factory coating is still there. however, these things ALREADY rock! WAY better than the P6's. they ride nice and quiet, are AA/A traction/temp rated, V speed rated. obviously it may be a bit early to tell, but i do believe that im going to LOVE these things!

Gunner
oh yeah.. i went with a 225/50/16 for a little wider footprint. not so much that it "sags" tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Got proxes 4 on my car. Amazing tire, plus the ride comfort is much better than most tires out there. Best bang for the buck :cheesy:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Gunner,

I have the 16" p6's on my car with about 28K. They are beginning to wear thin in the front but are still safe in the multi-weather conditions we face here in Chicago. My thoughts are to replace them at the end of spring. I've been looking at the Falkens 512s but the Toyos are also on my list. Can you comment on the plus sizing that you did as far as speedo accuracy and sizing? I was going to replace with the OEM 215/55/16s but would be interested in a bit more tire on the ground. Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
as far as the plus sizing goes, its a 1.8% difference. at 60mph, youre really going about 58.9. IMO the larger footprint is worth the mile or so, that i loose in gas.

Vis, by the numbers, there is actually less sidewall w/ the 225/50/16 than there is w/ stock. overall height diff is about .3 inches. which will be chewed up when i throw the H&R's in ;)

this should give you an idea of height. as of now, this is factory Linear springs

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just an update. after a fun weekend of driving, these sneakers are broken in!

we had our share of rain here this weekend, so what a great opportunity to really put these to the test.

first off.. these things give the car a whole different feel. bumps seem less 'violent', and the car is 100 times more precise in turns, also in tracking now that i think about it.
wet roads + hard acceleration = NO SLIPPAGE! i mean, of course if i really lit into them, im sure id break traction. but if you know how to use your clutch, these things will really stick it to ya!

the ride is nice and quiet, and the cornering is AMAZING!

this is one of the best things i could have done for my car. try them out, you WONT regret it!

·
Registered
638 Posts
My father had toyo A05s as OE fitment on his 94 previa. The tires were great in all conditions and lasted 77k with more tread left! Since then I was a believer in toyo tires.

Ive been happy with the economy (low RR) the P6 tires have provided, but they do get noisy with age, even compared to the saab OE snow tire set I have.

Ill be looking at these and maybe even the TPT toyos (I believe theyre the ones, H/V rated all-seasons) because they look like good wet-weather tires and have a 65k mile warranty.

Are the proxes 4 an all-season tire?

These are definitely on my list, though I dont hope to have to replace the toyos for another year or so.

JMH

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I made a post almost identical to this when I got my toyo proxes 4's.. they realy are a GREAT tire for the SS IMHO. I have had them now for 10-11k miles rotated them just once and they still look nearly brand new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is good news to me. I have a new set of Proxes 4 sitting in my garage waiting for my car to return from the body shop. I got the 225/45/17s. The PZs lasted 30,000 miles for me, although they should have been replaced 10,000 miles ago. The PZs were loud, so it' good to hear that the Proxes are quiet. Also, nice to hear about the handling as that was a concern of mine. I heard that the Proxes wouldn't handle as well as the PZs. I got a good price on mine from an ebay dealer - $96.00 per tire.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I've been happy with my Kuhmo ESX all seasons. Good price too:cheesy:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive run khumo before. not a bad tire for the money, but i got these for 340 mounted & balanced.. i cant complain!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts