SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a dilemma, I own 2 cars and need to take them both with me on a 500km trip.. the 2.0t biopower Saab has a toe hitch on the back.. would it tow a car transporter?? The car I am transporting is a 1999 Nissan laurel c35!

Any info would be greatly appreciated regarding weight limits and capacity as I wouldn鈥檛 like to loose the laurel down the motorway!!

Black beauty

Lady in Red that needs towing!

Thanks again! 馃憤

Registered
The 9-5 has a maximum allowed tow weight of 1800kg's in my registration papers. Honestly I wouldn't worry about stretching it a little since theres always some margin if you're a couple kg's over the limit.

Registered
The Laurel weights over 3,000 lbs and the car transporter has to be over 500 lbs (my cheap utility trailer is about 440 lbs empty and no way could it carry a car).

The towing rating of a 9-5 is 3500 lbs for trailer with brakes. I think your rig will be considerably over that.

You also need to check what the towing capacity of your particular hitch is. If it's one of the big ones that bolts to the frame on either side of the rear, then maybe it can handle 3500 lbs.

All this said, it would also depend on the road and traffic conditions along your 500 km route. I would not want to encounter any challenges on the way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the reply鈥檚 I never thought to look in the log book regarding the weight 馃檲..

Hmm I guess I will have to check the hitch and see what way it鈥檚 bolted and what The maximum it can tow.. I might also just have to find alternative options to getting the car moved properly as it鈥檚 a 10k mistake if something goes wrong and a lot of work has gone into it over the past while.

The roads would be motorway nearly all the way but the last 100km鈥檚 are bumpy windy pot hole ridden roads.

This is the transporter I was looking at hiring (more than capable) but I鈥檓 not looking to damage the Saab either as i enjoy driving them both.... if only I had a Jeep laying about..

Registered
The rental place should be able to tell you the empty weight of the transporter. They can be pretty heavy--they have to support a 3-4000 lb vehicle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts