SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I have a question: I am pulling my Saab on a dolly behind my motorhome. I have to leave the key on "off" in order to unlock my front wheels for turning. All is going great except for towing for days without starting my engine. I didnt think I had to start the engine, cause with the key in the "off" position, I didnt see any lights or indication that anything was on. But my engine battery was dead after two days of towing or leaving the key in the "off" position. Is there anyone towing their Saab? Or does anyone know why it is draining the battery? If just by leaving the key in the "off" position, it is draining juice from the battery. Is there any way to get by without disconnecting the positive post? Please help asap. We are headed out tomorrow am for a journey east. BTW the Lake Sakakawea State Park is awesome this time of the year. Thank again for your help and suggestions. Pat

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
reason you have a flat battery is that the steering lock is electronically activated as soon as the key is inserted into the ism thus drawing power from the battery..

·
Registered
675 Posts
Maybe there is a way you can hook up a trickle charger to the car during your trip.

I would just buy a jump box, so if its dead you can get it stared without jumper cables.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Or put it in the 'off' position to unlock the wheels, and then disconnect the negative battery cable. Not sure if that will cause it to lock up again, but you'll have to reset the clock each time you get to your destination. May be better than draining the battery though....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Interesting problem. It ain't just the steering lock solenoid. How about OnStar and the built-in phone (if either are installed)? When I first got my 2008 Aero SC, I left it parked in the driveway w/ the key in and "OFF" and the radio also off. The battery was flat in about 8 hours. I have since noticed that the stuff stays off if you withdraw the key, then re-insert it, which also unlocks the steering column.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts