SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a small boat that I'd tow with my '85 900T. Anyone have experience doing this? Initial thought is a 14' aluminum or fiberglass hull with standard trailer and up to 50 hp outboard. I estimate this at close to the 1000 lb. towing limit -- has anyone towed something similar? I don't want to be unsafe, but also want to avoid getting a larger vehicle just for towing...

·
Registered
694 Posts
my personal experience with boats is that i'd never want anything that wasnt 4wd with good tires pulling a boat off a dock. my buddy tried pulling our old boat out of the river with his 2wd chevy truck, and all he did was spun his rear tires. now, this was a 19ft boat with a 200hp v8 on it.

not that I dont have faith in the saab, as it definitly has the power to do it. it's getting that power to the ground.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, you guys convinced me.

Unfortunately, it looks as if going down this road means getting rid of one of the Saabs...there's only so much driveway space, and once a boat is involved, that means that the tow vehicle must go with it. Oh well. I will probably keep the '85 rally Saab, finish restoring the '90, and let that one go.

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You can always rent a truck each time you use the boat. If you are like most people, you will probably use the boat 10 times or less per year :roll:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MSOEMiller said:
You can always rent a truck each time you use the boat. If you are like most people, you will probably use the boat 10 times or less per year :roll:
That thought did cross my mind. The hope is that it'd get used a bit more than that. Reality may of course be more in line with your prediction...

Ten rentals a year, at (say) $75 a pop would pay for a decent used tow rig, including license and insurance and maintenance.

But after ridding myself of a beast of a car ten months ago, it's not an easy decision.

·
Registered
694 Posts
just get a beat up old 4wd chevy truck with a 350 in it. shouldnt cost yah too much, and with good tires will have no problems at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts