SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellows.
I normally purchase around 1 - 1.5 tones of grapes to make red wines and towing it to my small winery by track company. My Saab 9-5 serves me on weekends and during a season of grapes picking but rarely transport a small quantities "100 - 200 kg" of grapes from a vine yard to winery. Unfortunately sometimes a transport company send reject due to a low efficient cost of transportation.

I have to find solution to overtake any reject !!
On one side I want to drive my car for leisure and pleasure and on another to adjust rear shock suspension to not to be limited to transport 1 - 1.5 tones by a small trailer using tow-bar.

Any idea ??

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have done 800 kgs, 4 km with a normal 95 saab with good suspension. The trailer suspension was sinking a bit - but the car seamed to handle well and was okay on a sealed ashpalt road. I wouldn't like to repeat it often, more for the trailer's health. Damage could happen at the seam under the boot, or the bumper area to the car, I guess, if too heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just fitted a towbar kit to my 95 estate, I've towed a lot on other cars too.

It fitted up on all the factory locations which included drilling the steel body covers over a couple of shafts installed at the factory.
It and indeed the 95 is rated for 1800kg tow capacity so you know it's capable of doing a little more than that.
My towbar was made from lots of 8mm steel plate and bend not welded mostly.

As ever, dont have a nosewheel weight much more than 75kg.

I'd have no issues towing a car trailer and another saab on it with this. Hell I've towed bigger with smaller cars in the past.

Biggest load so far is 500kg worth of dirt in an old trailer tent. It didn't blink.
I'll quite possibly be nudging that 1800kg load in the near future towing a car on a trailer. 4wheel trailer, car off the ground that is. I dont expect the saab will even notice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts